Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 96 D1 on the cheap as it had been sitting for a few years, parked because of master cylinder leak. I am having a starting problem I believe is a result alarm system. If I try to start the vehicle I get nothing but a relay click behind the glove box, nothing from the starter. I also do not hear the fuel pump prime prior to starting. It came with two key fobs that work so I can unlock and lock the vehicle with the remote. I tried the alarm reset, lock unlock 3 times with the key at the driver door with no avail. Seem like I am still immobilized through the alarm system. All fuses are good. Should I try the immobilizer bypass trick or grab the voltmeter and checking power to the starter and fuel pump?

On a side note when the key is turned in the ignition the reverse lights come on and stay on. Anyone know what that might be about?

Lastly anyone have advice on what to do before starting an engine that has been sitting for a few years? I have been told to spray some 3-1 into each cylinder, clean the intake and stand back or put some oil into each cylinder and try and work the crank pulley to get the pistons moving just in case the rings have rusted. Not my first or second D1, but the first I am bringing back from hibernation after being put away wet.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Silly question but are you using a fresh battery or boosting an old one. Does not sound like a security issue to me. Sounds like a voltage and amperage issue.

As for the engine a shot od penetrant such as 3in 1 or wd40 or even a shirt of transmission fluid to loosen things up and attempt to roll it over by hand is how I would go at it.

Reactions: chuckwagon

·
Registered
35 Posts
this could be a total shot inthe dark but i had a thought. if your reverse lights are coming on when you have the ignition on then maybe his is trickin the computer into thinking its not in park and i know that the autoamtics wont kick the starter over if its in any other gear other than park or nutreal. is it an automatic or standard?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.