Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this question has been on the forums before, I could not find it.
Anyways, my 2000 D2 is have some starting problems. Every morning when I go to start her up, she wont start. I will turn the key and all I hear is a "hissing" noise. Ill take out the key, put it back in the ignition, turn it, and again ill hear the hissing. After multiple attempts, she will finally start and run fine! Throughout the day I would be driving around and no problems happen. She would start perfectly fine every time EXCEPT when I first drive every morning. Why is this? How can I fix it?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Either your fuel pump is getting ready to fail or you have an exhaust leak from a blown head gasket.
Any fault code numbers?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
The hissing sound? Are you sure it is not the starter spinning but not engaging?
Sure sounds like it to me but " hissing" ?...
My guess is the starter drive is not engaged / sticky when cold.
Can you confirm if the engine is turning over when you hear the noise and it does not start?
If it's not cranking the motor over forget about everything else til you get it cranking over reliably .��

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Starter!

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel. Sometimes happens on an aged part. I have had similar happen on my 2000 d2

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
From your description I'm confident that's what you are hearing.
Let me know how you make out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.