Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,

i'm pretty new to discos, i only bought it (a 1995 300tdi ES) about 6 months ago and it's been going great.. but now i have a serious starting problem.. basically it's not starting at all. it first started when i couldnt start it and i had to get a rangie to jump start me. i drove about 12 miles home and when i got home, i tried to start it again and nothing. the lights dim, and the starter clicks like a machine gun. tried jump starting off a 325i bmw, but no joy. the starter turns about twice and then nothing.. the mechanic i had look at it reckons its the starter motor, but i have doubts about this, as the remote locking keyfob doesnt even lock the doors, indicating a flat battery... any ideas on this, or previos experience with this issue?? many thanks in advance..

Gareth

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gareth, I had the same problem with my Disco, turned out it was just corrosion on the battery cables and a bad ground (earth). I whipped them off, cleaned them up, got a jump start and went for a long drive to charge up the battery. End of problem.

Good luck

John

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Starting problem

lastsaturday said:
hi folks,

i'm pretty new to discos, i only bought it (a 1995 300tdi ES) about 6 months ago and it's been going great.. but now i have a serious starting problem.. basically it's not starting at all. it first started when i couldnt start it and i had to get a rangie to jump start me. i drove about 12 miles home and when i got home, i tried to start it again and nothing. the lights dim, and the starter clicks like a machine gun. tried jump starting off a 325i bmw, but no joy. the starter turns about twice and then nothing.. the mechanic i had look at it reckons its the starter motor, but i have doubts about this, as the remote locking keyfob doesnt even lock the doors, indicating a flat battery... any ideas on this, or previos experience with this issue?? many thanks in advance..

Gareth
You have a dead battery, do to either a bad alternator or dirty cables. I would suggest you have someone cgarge up the battery and then have a load test done on the charging system. You should be fine, good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Guys, for the advice. i'm going to take the battery down to the local kwik-fit place and get them to check it. if it's knackered, i'll borrow a good one and hopefully start the car. i'll then take it down and get them to check the alternator etc... many thanks again, i'll let you know the outcome.

cheers,
Gareth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, it turns out the battery was shot. it showed 12v but the amps were just about zero. i put a new one in (€70) and i'm back in business. i also cleaned up the terminal connectors, earth from the starter to the body, so hopefully that's that.

i should really get my 20 quid back off the mechanic who told me i needed a new starter motor... bastard..
:complain:
thanks guys..

cheers,

Gareth

·
Registered
523 Posts
Gareth:
As John and Mike said,suspect of dirty battery contacts first,as they get wasted and corroded over time with normal use.Then have a check at the battery and alternator/charging system.Now that you have a new battery,you should check your charging system,you might spend some extra cash,but worth it at the long run,as if you do have a shot alternator or something else on your charging stytem,it will ruin your new battery.
Thanks,
Carlos

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gareth, check out the charging system with a voltmeter, should be around the 13.5Volts area. Ive had 3x alternators on my rangie (200 Tdi) and when the diode pack kicks the bucket it also flattens the battery. BAZZ. :bgreen:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Baking soda mixed with water will remove the corrosion build up at the battery on the cables. Make a bunch and pour!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
howyra fellows,

yeah, when i went back to pay for the battery i had the guy put a battery tester over it and it registered just under 14v. seems ok. i did notice last night however, that the negative terminal has picked up some white fluff.. i wonder if it indicates an earthing problem somewhere..

i'll look at it afte this shitty weather clears.

cheers for the info guys,
Gareth.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You also need to look at the Amp output. You can have one of 5 cells good and it will show 14V, but as soon as you put a load on it it croaks like a Frenchie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts