• Steel

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Alloy

Votes: 5 35.7%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a subject that has been discussed before, but feedback is always interesting. I'm curious to put the issue to a vote. Yes steel will bend rather than break,,,but I've yet to see a cracked Rover alloy off-road despite seeing them take extreme abuse. Flip-side is if you need the off-set, steel's the only option.

What are your thoughts? Have you seen an LR alloy crack off-road? How do you vote ?

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Not all steelies are alike. The cheap ones (like AR) will bend easily and need to be aligned constantly. Also, the alloys are hubcentric and the AR steelies are lug centric.

I prefer steelies (the good ones) over the alloys becuase of the offset.

4,346 Posts
I posted about this not too long ago. Like SCSL said, I have yet to see Alloys cracked on the trail, or anywhere for that matter. Theoretically, though, Wolfs should be better than the alloys because of the added strength. They are heavier but for good reason. For the serious off-roader, steealies would are the way to go...that means you steve..lol. For the Enthisusiast who tries very hard to be a serious off roader but find yourself prepping for a hurricane every other weekend, and doing more city driving that off road driving, steelies are still the way to go..lol...but Alloys will do just as good.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
01001010 said:
For the serious off-roader, steealies would are the way to go...that means you steve..lol.
I don't know man, that's why I solicited more thoughts. I've seen plenty of hard core off-roaders in CO riding stock alloys,,, including Bill Burke...

Hey I hope you didn't get too much hassle from Rita,, you guys down there are having a rough season . (all the more reason to move to CO :D )

4,346 Posts
Haha...yeah man, im dyin to get the hell away, only thing im going to miss is freedivin...but i can set asside some time to fly down for that specific purpose...

Yeah man, i decided to just stay with my alloys..if you notice, the rollover/accident pictures on dweeb of all the guys that have posted, the wheels are still intact...so that says alot.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
One more comment on the alloys: they have a double lip to prevent the tire from popping off the rim. If anyone has tried popping a bead using a manual tire changer you'll know what I mean...it's impossible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.