Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in alot of pictures of disco's, i've seen steel wires from the brush guard connected to the roof rack, i was wondering what the purpose/function of this was.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
They're called limb risers (raisers) and they are intended to do just that. If offroading, in the woods, low slung branches, rather than hit the windshield, are pushed up, and out of the way with the wires.
9 vehicles out of 10 that have them, are for show only, and are a PITA when you need to do anything under the bonnet. Of coarse, you could always use them for drying your laundry, or a radio or TV antenna.

· Registered
238 Posts
don't knock the wires my whole car is for show why buy a 4x4 to use it of road? I find that they are far more enjoyable when you spend money on things like raised suspension, big tyres and then the obligitory chrome everywhere, once you have done all this take it for a Sunday drive next to little old ladies and scare the s#!t out of them. No really, I have to agree with terry wires from the bullbar to a roof rack are a complete toss. There are people who have them for the right reason but most really need to get a life spend the money on thing that are far more usefull.

2,687 Posts
I've got limb risers on my truck.. I think it cost maybe $10 to make them from parts from home depot.. In NJ there are a lot of REAL tight trails, I know a ton of people (even Jeeps) who have had branches snap back and crack their windshields.. so I've definitely made great use of them. I also only attach them when I go wheeling.. when not in use, they are coiled up and stored under the hood.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I agree with Terry. One of the things that gets to me, is number of newbies who after just purchasing their vehicle, want to fit 33" + tires to their trucks, as well as 3" + lift kits, when they probably never been off-road anyway, and in most cases I suspect, never will. I think it's more of a "Look at me" factor than serving any useful purpose.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
rmuller said:
I've got limb risers on my truck.. I think it cost maybe $10 to make them from parts from home depot.. In NJ there are a lot of REAL tight trails, I know a ton of people (even Jeeps) who have had branches snap back and crack their windshields.. so I've definitely made great use of them. I also only attach them when I go wheeling.. when not in use, they are coiled up and stored under the hood.
Now, that makes sense. I love the ones that go all out for the custom stainless ones with detachable turnbuckles made up at a sail riggers, for 200-300 bucks. I have probably put as many miles off road as alot of newbies have done on road, and in New England, there are plenty of overgrown trails. I wouldn't be following anyone so close that the would snap a limb back at me anyway, but I've never needed them anyway. The only thing I have given some thought to as far as limb damage is the four Hellas on the roof. I've been trying to design a good extension cage off the Defender's roll cage to cover that, but it isn't that pressing an issue.

· Registered
37 Posts
Limited results

Ditto what rmuller said. I built mine for about $50, but I went "all out" on $20 sail turnbuckles to go with my Lowe's steel cable. My set-up looks very similar to the Defender kits sold in the $200-300 range. I have a Hannibal rack which doesn't deflect branches as they ride over the windshield as well as they would with SD racks and other similar models. Yep, huge PITA for getting under the hood, so they stay stored until going into an area that is overgrown. And yes, I'll admit, they haven't worked nearly as well as I hoped they would - I still have branches snap back from the limb riser and smack into the cabin when I have the windows down. That and I got really tired of explaining what they were to people in random parking lots...

Oh well, I've spent $50 on far less useful items than these... :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.