Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my Rover for several years now and done extensive maintenance and upgrades. (Thanks to you all because of your posting!)Anyhow, Just hesitating on replacing my steering box but my truck is a danger on the xpress way. I feel my steering wheels wonders and it's very hard to maintain stable straight line at 70mph. I have a 2" lift with 235/85/16 tires with range rover wheels. Any idea where to buy a new steering box more affordable than Rovers Parts? I will post pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Why do you think that the steering gearbox needs replaced?

After the lift kit did you get a alignment done? What kind of shape are the tie rods in? How about the radius arm bushings?

Reactions: 15mpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suggest you do a simple test for excessive play in all the areas that affect steering. Check the UJs in the lower part of the steering column. Get somebody to swing the steering wheel backwards and forwards whilst feeling for play in the small universal joints. Then get under the front end and look for unusual movement in the steering box whilst somebody again swings the steering wheel. Finally, check all the ball joints by wrapping your hand around them whilst somebody swings the steering wheel. There are four ball joints to check - one on the end of the arm attached to the steering box, one on the end of the drag link where it attaches to the front wheel, and one on both ends of the tie bar. If there is excessive play, you will feel it. Then check the pannard rod bushes at the end where the rod attaches close to the steering box. Finally, lift each front wheel off the ground and check for free play in the front wheel bearings. If you've got a problem with the steering, then these tests should home in on the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.