Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this might be more of a survey than a call for solution. But, if you have some ideas... I am listening. (misery loves company)

Anyone else have problem after problem with the steering gear box leaking?

For historical purposes... my gear box has been off the vehicle three times (not counting the redo from not properly seating the retainer ring on the lower seal).

Is it just me or could someone really build a better mouse trap here. I have gone through two boxes (on my third) and one rebuild kit (seals, lower) in the past three and half years.

Normally, I would chalk this up to poor luck on the remans but, after three and my lower seal is now wet again and leaking?

Could there be something I am missing like a wore suspension part causing excess wear and tear on the gear box? :dunno:

· Registered
321 Posts
feel your pain.. had major problems with the steering box too. tried doing the rebuild kit myself but that didn't really work. got feed up and took it to a hydrolic shop and the fixed it up.... still leaks a wee little bit but is hella better than what it was before
take care

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Lucas will help if you have a slow/small leak, a teaspoon of brake fluid will help also, both products "swell" the seals and stop the leak. But if you have a large leak then you might consider getting the rebuild kit for around $90 and repairing it yourself. it is a PIA to fix but cheaper than replacing the box.

My box was not leaking but it was pretty worn out so I went with the Meridian one. great customer service and very quick shipping.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I have a spare box I've been playing with and trying to replace the seals and for the life of me I cannot remove one of the seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.