Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the interstate the other day and when I hit a small bump my front wheels started to shake wildly. I had to slow to below 40 miles an hour before I could stop the shaking. Now I can turn the steering wheel about a half turn before it takes.

I have some thoughts on what is going on but not an expert in steering. Any clue what exactly this might be and the cost to repair?

·
Registered
388 Posts
The easiest thing to do is have someone turn the wheel while you look from underneath (in the driveway of course!)..Look for play and the bushings, ball joints, steering box, everywhere.

That "death wobble" you're experiencing is most likely swivel preload related. Heres some good readin' http://www.***.hiof.no/~frodehaa/swivelpinpreload.htm

·
Registered
734 Posts
sven said:
The easiest thing to do is have someone turn the wheel while you look from underneath (in the driveway of course!)..Look for play and the bushings, ball joints, steering box, everywhere.

That "death wobble" you're experiencing is most likely swivel preload related. Heres some good readin' http://www.***.hiof.no/~frodehaa/swivelpinpreload.htm
Swivel Preload and PanHard Rod bushings..............adjusting the preload is not too hard, the bushings need a press. You can also check your Steering Box Adj.
The article Sven attached is the one I used, works well.

Steering

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
dbrisotti said:
I was driving down the interstate the other day and when I hit a small bump my front wheels started to shake wildly. I had to slow to below 40 miles an hour before I could stop the shaking. Now I can turn the steering wheel about a half turn before it takes.

I have some thoughts on what is going on but not an expert in steering. Any clue what exactly this might be and the cost to repair?
Sounds like the panhard rod bushes have failed a common problem and one that is easy to rectify.

all you need is a blow lamp,a hack saw,a hammer,chisel and a file a vice can be usefull to.

remove the panhard rod burn out the rubber center with the blow lamp,then cut a groove in the outer steel sleeve of the bush being careful not to cut into the rod itself,then knock the remaining shell out with a hammer and chisel.

Then clean out the hole with a bit of emery cloth and refit a new bush,this is where people make the mistake of trying to press the bush in,it wont the easist way is to insert the bush as far as it will go by lightly tapping it with a hammer then remove the bush and dress the area (on the bush)where it was catching with a file repeat this till it fits fully in the rod dont remove to much material it must be a snug fit. refit the rod using new bolts as the old bolts can be worn.

·
Registered
707 Posts
onslow said:
Sounds like the panhard rod bushes have failed a common problem and one that is easy to rectify.

all you need is a blow lamp,a hack saw,a hammer,chisel and a file a vice can be usefull to.

remove the panhard rod burn out the rubber center with the blow lamp,then cut a groove in the outer steel sleeve of the bush being careful not to cut into the rod itself,then knock the remaining shell out with a hammer and chisel.

Then clean out the hole with a bit of emery cloth and refit a new bush,this is where people make the mistake of trying to press the bush in,it wont the easist way is to insert the bush as far as it will go by lightly tapping it with a hammer then remove the bush and dress the area (on the bush)where it was catching with a file repeat this till it fits fully in the rod dont remove to much material it must be a snug fit. refit the rod using new bolts as the old bolts can be worn.
I'm assuming "blow lamp" is a torch? or is that what you all call a flashlight...
no, ... **** i think a "torch" is a flashlight ... so "blow lamp" is like a propane fire torch

hahaha i love it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panhard Rod Bushings

I was under the truck last night and I believe you are correct on this (I shouldn't be able to move the panhard rod freely back and forth, should I?). This trip was just an exploratory so I didn't have it lifted... kinda tough to see the swivel pins so that might be contributing as well. I'll let you know.

Thanks.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
oddly enough the rangie I bought today is suffering the same problem tomorrows job I feel

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have play play between lock in the steering wheel, I'd say it's highly likely the steering shaft U-joints have gone pear shaped in addition to your suspension bushings.

·
ryans ROVER
185 Posts
steering problems

i am also having a steering problems....the wheel radomly (maybe once or twice a week) starts to shake and it doesnt stop until i turn the wheel hard left of right and i hear a "pop" in the steering and it goes back to normal...whats going on here?

·
Registered
60 Posts
ryanc8514 said:
i am also having a steering problems....the wheel radomly (maybe once or twice a week) starts to shake and it doesnt stop until i turn the wheel hard left of right and i hear a "pop" in the steering and it goes back to normal...whats going on here?
check for play in your balljoints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.