Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like a wheel needs balancing - you may have thrown a weight or have mud built up on the inside of a rim - have you damaged a tyre lately through heavy braking or hitting something - it may no longer be round

These are the obvious things - then it could be almost anything - wheel bearings, warped brake discs (but you would feel this when braking as well), driveshaft CVs

Good luck

Garry

·
Registered
60 Posts
As Garry says, tires are the most likely so check them first.

The next thing to have checked is the CV joint/axles in the front. If they are bad you should be getting juddering under load but not as bad coasting. Also it should occur at slower speeds as it gets worse. Check the condition of the boots on each end of each axle. If they are broken it is likely the CV is bad since it doesn't take long for dirt and water to kill a CV joint.

Hope this helps.

Brian

·
Registered
110 Posts
steveland said:
Hi I've just purchased a TD4ES (02 model), any little problems I should look out for, hopefully they'll be none, but have heard all these horror stories about head gasket problems !!
The head gasket problems are with the K series 1800 petrol engine only.
The TD4 has no major faults that derive from the design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Judder / Vibration Problems

For your information my Freelander has just started experiencing the same problems as you stated. At 50 - 60 mph I start to get severe vibration through the vehicle This is noticable whilst under acceleration but not as bad whilst coasting. My freelander has 54000 miles and is 4 years old. I took my car to LR last week who took it out on a road test. They confirmed that the problem was with the INNER DRIVESHAFTS both needed replacing (Expensive) I told them that I had an Extended LR Warranty. They are sending an inspector to view the vehicle to authorise the repairs (Or Not). Having just been a very recent new LR owner. I am concerned and hope the Warranty will cover the repairs. I took my car into LR today they are phoning me with the verdict in the morning. I will be less than happy if he does not authorise the repair. Ive only had the car since June and Ive had my fare share of problems with the car already.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Newspaperman said:
They confirmed that the problem was with the INNER DRIVESHAFTS both needed replacing (Expensive)
Hi - I assume you actually mean the inner CV joints. When an inner CV joint goes it does cause a loud knocking and vibration - and yes they are expensive. But I am most surprised - Freelander CV joints are quite robust - my car has done almost 200,000 km and the inners are still fine and one of the outers is just starting to click. If your CVs (is it one or both - given their normal long life and cost I would be checking - especially if you have to pay) have failed it is most unusual and not normal. The outers should go first as they are the ones that turn at odd angles - as I said they start to click and just get noiseier and noiseier.

Good luck

Garry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vibrations

Update - Ive just got back from LR they have paid for the repair work under the extended warranty, it was both inner driveshafts that had worn and they did confirm that they usually are quite robust units. The car feels and drives like a different vehicle.
Also they replaced the inlet manifoild which was causing a strange engine noise whilst accelerating like an exhaust blowing. My vehicle is back on the road good as new now! Especially as I was covered by the LR Warranty and didnt have to pay

·
Registered
110 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Update - Ive just got back from LR they have paid for the repair work under the extended warranty, it was both inner driveshafts that had worn and they did confirm that they usually are quite robust units. The car feels and drives like a different vehicle.
Also they replaced the inlet manifoild which was causing a strange engine noise whilst accelerating like an exhaust blowing. My vehicle is back on the road good as new now! Especially as I was covered by the LR Warranty and didnt have to pay
That is top news. :clap:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problem

Let me ask you, as you were driving did the vechicle feel as if it was actually hoping up and down. Even as you would go over some small dips where your suspension would drop and come back up the vibration got even harder untill it went back to it original riding level, just to feel the same vibration as before. Only when you were accelerating, for me it between 60mph-75mph, i really havent gone fast than that. I feel as if the tires would fall out if i do because of the vibration. I have a hitch on my freelander and when i tow my trailer the vibration begins happening a 55mph. The only time it feel ok is when there was no push from the engine, like going down hill or decelarating. Right now I am having the same problem and Im looking to buy both the left and right side cv's. know was there any other replacements that they did, like the ird, a bracket found on the left side, that i hear also creates some problems..
I will get back with you guys to let you know what the results are..
wish me luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.