Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to both this forum and Landrover ownership so I hope someone may be able to help.
I recently purchased an ex BAOR (LHD) Late Series II Ambulance, I would say the only one here in New Zealand, although there are a couple of ex British army Rovers around the country, including a SWB Series II, a 101 Forward Control and a Lightweight.

My Problem is that the steering is very Arm Strong in its nature, by process of elimination we have found that its a stuck (as in very stuck) right hand king pin and we cannot see an easy way off removing it.
The only way I can see is to use screw drivers and other wedges to prise out the pin, so far this has resulted in about a quarter of an inch movement, more will be possible with a bigger hammer.

Does any one know off a better way of doing this, without removing the entire front dif etc from the vehicle???

Also I would love to here from any other Rover Ambulance owners.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin Frethey
Auckland, New Zealand
1972 Series IIA Ambulance (BAOR)
1939 GMC
:drive:

·
Registered
8 Posts
steering faults

G'Day Kevin,

When you say "king pin" do you mean the top & bottom swivel housing bearings? The bearing supports are held in with 4 bolts,usually with locking tags. Drop off the tie rod end, do this by removing the split pin & nut and give the housing where the tie rod fits a good belt with a hammer, the tie rod should pop out. With the tie rod off you should be able to feel the condition of the bearings, dose it feel notchy when you swivel left to right? To do the repair properly you will have to strip the swivel hub down. The pre load on the bearings is achived by shims under the top & bottom bearing posts keep these in order as you will need them when re fitting new bearings. The posts should lift out with little resistance, If the studs are still in place try locking two nuts togeather on the stud & remove the studs from the housing. remember to remove the wiper seal off the back of the swivel housing. The bearing supports will only require lifting about 1 1/2 inch in the old money to remove. If you kneed any more advice give me a private Email and i can give you what info you req.

Regards Mark,
Latrobe valley
Australia.

P.S. Your cricket team dosn't stand a chanch this summer. :wave:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts