Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
just had a very bad shock....pulled out of a turning on to a main road when my steering locked up solid on about half lock...stayed like that for a few seconds then freed up:eek:
I checked the fluid in the steering box & bled it anyway plus checked all the ball joints but cant see any thing that would cause that to happen
I dont want to drive it again till I find out what caused it any ideas???

Tank

· Registered
94 Posts
What year is it? I know I had problems with my 97 Disco's steering locking out while I was parked but never in motion. Alot of the discos have problems with the steering lock (having to jimmy the key and what not) while parked but I have never heard of anyhting like this. Maybe it's related.
??

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Tank, I'm not sure what your problem is but you might want to check the following:

1. Steering shaft: have someone move the steering left to right (engine running, vehicle in Park) and look at the steering shaft to make sure nothing is interfering with it. Check the bushing on the shaft while you're at it.

2. Pitman arm: same thing, have someone else move the steering all the way to the left and all the way to the right and look for any interference. WATCH YOUR HANDS!

3. Steering and track rod: same as above.

4. Steering damper: check to make sure it's not bent.

5. Swivel balls: check your balls just in case all of the above don't work.

6. Check the steering column by the ignition key.

Don't know what else to check but good luck.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John thanks for the reply mate I'll go thru your list as soon as I can [soon as its light] but can you tell me the best way to check the ball's/swivels? I cant hear any ticking or any noise at all[hope thats a good sign]

Tank

ps:-nice bike ;] always been a fan of big thumpers

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,
still no luck as I have found nothing wrong dispite stripping out the steering shaft uj's plus lock, checking the balls all the track rod end's and bleeding the system again:mad: that aside I have not got the steering to lock up again as it did before so I think that only leaves me one option....strip out the steering box....is this advisable for the average diy'er with access to air & a press at work

any advice would be a help
thanks
Tank

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
If your steering stuck, it is most likely a failue of the steering box. I had mine fail a couple of times as I was driving home from a run. It totally locked and the dealer had to install an updated box in my 99 D2.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.