Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently bought a Discovery 1994. Its a great car and my first Landrover - Yipee....

The problem is that the steering wheel/ front wheels tend to vibrate for a while (10 -20 secs) if i hit a small bump / pothole / or uneven surface on the motorway at any speed over 70kph. This is quite disturbing ... What is causing this ... where do I start?????

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mark

· Registered
106 Posts
id check the easy things first. Check to see if the tie rods and ball joints are tight. Check to see the rest of the steering linkage is tight. Check to see the wheels are on and lugs properly tightened. How are your shocks? Do the wheels need to be balanced? Last resort, could be your steering rack is going out. Good luck.

Does it wander after you hit a bump, or just vibrate? Does the steering wheel physically move while vibrating or just a vibration thru the car?

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
2nd the steering dampner. I had mine go out on a previous Jeep that I owned. It exibited the same behavior that you mentioned. Scary is the least I would use to describe it.

· Registered
72 Posts
steering vibration

The series 1 disco tends to wear out the bolt on the diff end of the panhard rod when this happens it causes the diff to oscillate sideways. To check it out get someone to move the steering wheel side to side while you lay under the front of the car,watch the diff end of the panhard rod and you should not see any movement. If there is movement it is an easy job to femove the panhard rod then check the bolt and replace if it is worn out (use high tensile bolt) if the hole in the bracket on the panhard is flogged out you may have to weld a washer on the end to make the bolt tight again. Hope this helps :buttrock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.