Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a couple months ago that the back lighting on the steering wheel buttons on my 2008 LR3 were cutting out when the wheel was hovering around the normal centered position, but a slight turn of the wheel and they’d pop back on. Progress to today and they are now almost always off. In addition the horn buttons don’t work. After a Neanderthal inspired research moment I discovered that they all work perfectly if you push slightly on the top of the central airbag unit. So when I need to see a button at night or honk the horn I just press the top center and it all works. Not a great fix, but functional. Now, my state inspection is due and I need a working horn to pass... a one-step horn honk will be required. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos on removing the airbag and accessing the wires and such beyond. Before I did that I wanted to see if others have had this happen and what to look for.
Thanks!

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
The wires are fed through a circular mechanism which uses a spring to make the connections. It sounds like yours is kaput. Any manner of fussing (repair or replace) will require diving in

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the infamous air bag removal tool finally arrived from across the pond, so yesterday I pulled the steering wheel apart and much to my surprise it was pretty straight forward. I had the new clock spring in hand, but did not end up needing it. I had a broken ground wire at the loom plug that inserts into the clock spring mechanism. It’s part of the harness that comes from the steering wheel buttons and connects to the ground on the back of the airbag pod. I gently pulled the plug apart and re attached the ground and reinserted the pin connector in the plug... reassembled it all and it’s all working perfectly. As a bonus I fixed a slightly off steering wheel center alignment and now I feel extra productive.

Now a break, for a couple days, the new rear air struts arrive Friday and I’ll put those on Saturday to finish the SYA kit to clear the new 33’s. It’s been a fun couple weeks for the ole girl!

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Nice! You shouldn’t have adjusted the wheel clock though, what if you were slightly out of alignment and that was the reason? Now if you get aligned you might be cocked again

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, I did think about that… I will be having it aligned next week, and if I have to straighten out the steering wheel again, I can do that in about 10 to 15 minutes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts