Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is common on disco's. She has done this to me several times ion the last 3 or 4 months but this time I sat in the parking lot of Wendy's for an hour an a half spelunkering with the key and the wheel I finally got it going but there's gotta be a trick? I mean I just got done putting a brand new suspension on her and I have to admit I was loving her and on a pretty good rover high but, this key debacle was her way to say "Love me....but don't love me too much." Or was it?
I dunno?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh trust me I tried that, and everything else. I truly think it was her talking to me saying " You can't buy my love with modifications. For my love, we need to spend more time together, you know, like out on the trail."
Whadayathink?

·
Banned
914 Posts
Both my truck did this. The 99 I think was "caught" before it got too bad. I just started giving it a shot of graphite every now and then. On my 97, it starting getting real bad! Then, one days after getting an inspection, my key broke in the cylinder (guess the shop had the same problem) I was able to start the truck, and drove to the auto parts store, where I purchased two toggle switches and a momentary button. I just re-wired everything, and now it starts with flick of a switch and a hit on the button....Six bucks. Pretty good thief deterrent, too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what parts did you buy

Hank said:
Both my truck did this. The 99 I think was "caught" before it got too bad. I just started giving it a shot of graphite every now and then. On my 97, it starting getting real bad! Then, one days after getting an inspection, my key broke in the cylinder (guess the shop had the same problem) I was able to start the truck, and drove to the auto parts store, where I purchased two toggle switches and a momentary button. I just re-wired everything, and now it starts with flick of a switch and a hit on the button....Six bucks. Pretty good thief deterrent, too.
So you're saying you start up without the key?
Do you remember the details about those products. That's a great idea. I will make that change and just simplify.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Basically, you cut the wires at the lock cylinder, and pull them back down under the dash. What you are looking for is the following wires:
Green W/ White stripe
White W/ Red stripe
Yellow
White
Brown

You take two high Amp switches, and one button, and mount them where ever you want to.

Switch number 1, you will connect the Green/White wire on one terminal, and the Brown wire to the other terminal. This will be your ACC power (radio, etc...)

Switch number 2, you will mount solid yellow and solid white to one terminal, and brown to the other. This is your main power. (power windows, ecu, fuel pump, etc...)

Starter button will have brown to one terminal, and White/Red to the other. This sends power to the starter.

The main power switch is what will turn the truck off. Just flick it down, and it kills the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.