Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a 1994 LWB in from Atlanta. On the drive up here (Milwaukee) everything was going fine until the CD changer shut itself off. Then an intermitent problem arose where tehe power to the stereo would cycle on and off. 3-5 seconds on then 3-5 seconds off. This continued for awhile. The everything worked normally. 150 miles or so later the on/off problem started again. The maintenace records show this problem occured about 4200 miles ago (August 2004). The dealership fixed the power wire. Now it is back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection, or a broken wire somewhere in the line, that's making/breaking contact randomly. This usually occurs due to vibrations, bumps in the road or turning corners. Do a close examination of your leads. Since the problem occured once before, I'd check the connections.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I got this one too.
Your gonna die when you hear it. I pulled my head unit and alcohol bathed it and checked all the connections, used a can of contact cleaner. It was dirty, but not the problem apparently as it continued to give me fits.

It was my ignition switch. Yeah. When your radio is going on and off check to see if you have any other accessories. If your headlights are on they should be going on and off. You shouldn't be able to use the windows. And there are others. Windows tipped it off to me.

Anyway I pulled my column off and the back of the ignition switch is not making good contact to the locking mechanism. I used some zip ties to snug it back up.

One cold January morning, 7 degrees F, My Rover left me sitting. It would not start. I looked at everything. Pulled the console to check the relays for the shifter, couldn't find anything that would let me start.

I finally pulled the column and managed to get the truck started after I futzed with the ignition switch. But ever since then it had gotten worse.

Since the repair, I don't have to double turn the key to start her and the radio and all the other accessories work fine.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thannks for the ideas of where to check. Nothing else is going on and off. Simply the stereo. I should say that I am virgin. This is my first Rover so I am in the learning process. I am not afraid to dive in, but if someone could point me the way to getting to the stereo (does not look that simple) I would appreciate it. I am also looking for tech manuals. Any leads on where to go? Ebay?

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
On the front face of the radio there are two holes on the outside. One on each side.
There is a small screw in there that when turned lefty loosey moves a pad closer to the radio and thus stops holding on to the plastic frame.
Then you can slide out the unit.
Good luck.
Click the picture of my stuck Rover in my signature and it will lead you to my site that I have lots of stuff you will probably see on your Rover eventually. Check out the tech tips page.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.