Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little subwoofer mod ended up as a deck replacement and replacing all the speakers. Guess I was just bored. Anyways, after driving camaro's all my life, with pretty tricked stereo set ups, i just haven't been happy with the mid range the stock set up offers, so while buying speakers, I decided I would try and mount 6x9's in the rear panels, instead of just the 4's. Obviously they are bigger, and deeper than the body panels allow, so I'll need to make the mounts bigger, and build them up.

Has anyone done this before? I'm sure someone has, and whoever you are, any advice? I figured I could just make the mounts with smoothed out MDF, and then find a matching material to cover them with. Any ideas?

Thanks,
~Ryan

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
Yup you can use MDF. You can just trace the speaker onto the board and cut it to the right size and your all set. However it might not look so great. The best thing to do is to make those MDF rings and then use them to make a fiberglass enclosure, top only.

Almost like the panels I built for my S2000:

Have you worked with fiberglass before?? If not I can help you out. Just let me know.

· Registered
590 Posts
Darkknight,

I love that damn car.

Off subject, but how long you had it, and what tuning changes have you made?

Ive entertained the thoght of getting one many times.

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
Thanks guys. As for the car, I've had it about 4 years now with no problem except I don't drive it enough ;) As for tuning, do you mean engine only or the whole car? Its gone through 3 sound system setups, many different parts added, its a long list ;)

Anyway...
Its a little different, but I can teach you over the net or the phone. If you can patch a boat then you could build this. And where you live in the heat you could do this in a day. The weather is great for using fiberglass, dries really fast.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
If you look around,

You could install a flat wall speaker in the door panel, instead of the regular 6x9's. In my 96 panels, there is a thick styofoam layer that would be conducive for such an installation as long as you trim the excess screws off the back and use really flat wide anchor nuts. Peek here for some ideas.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/audio/1279551.html?page=2&c=y

Another idea is replacement speakers for those in the C Pillar where those round speakers are at.

To give you an idea of what I am thinking in their place look here or,

http://mirror.bose.co.uk/images_global/home_audio/env_speakers/pil_251.jpg

I bitch (so sorry ladies) that no one has EVER run over those 6x9's and made them flatter so they would fit in a door.

Adam in NYC :drive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.