Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Discovery II SE and I want to add a carplay stereo with a backup camera. I have no idea where to start. We have replaced the speakers with pioneer but I’m not sure about an amp or anything. The radio has been replaced with the typical single din sony. What all do I need to do for it to work? What do I need to replace? How do I make a double din fit?

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
Making a doubledin requires a serious degree of craftiness... or there’s a guy who makes and sells dash kits to replace the entire console surround to relocate controls and allow a double, but he wants $800

at any rate, if you want to add CarPlay you should buy a CarPlay enabled head unit, whichever size you can find/afford/fit.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
247 Posts
There are some nice (although expensive) single DIN head units that have slide-out screens that flip up. They support CarPlay, and are quite nice, but can get super expensive.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe not for everybody but I'm getting this installed shortly

They have a ton of single DIN available as well....even if listed as out of stock, I'm positive you could ebay the model you want.

Also, they sell the harness to enable steering wheel controls too.

They reply to questions fairly fast btw so I would ask about the camera situation

Happy hunting!

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
I had a motorized single din in one of my D2 many moons ago. Due to the shape of the stereo surround, I was unable to achieve the desired “tilt” of the protruded display. This may vary from make to make, but worth considering.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Def can understand the tilt situation. The linked unit has a pin as well that you use to detach the face unit for theft and I believe it's tiltable to where you want it and not just preset.

Either way, it'll be an upgrade toy OEM head unit with the AUX added. Way too much interference when I use AUX

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
I’m my particular case, the radio was recessed into the dash and was physically obstructed from being in a \ or | position, and was ever so slightly tilted forward /

it wasn’t a dealbreaker but it wasn’t ideal

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
135 Posts
Possible to do an Alpine iLX-F309 HALO. Saw this guy on Instagram that made it work. I’ve got one of these in my truck and LOVE it.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
Oh yeah I’ve seen that, it’s not but it’s not motorized. Not that it matters, but I don’t think you can achieve that angle with a motorized unit and I wouldn’t want to have that thing on my dash 24/7, and if it detaches I wouldn’t want to carry it around (-:

·
Registered
135 Posts
It isn’t designed to detach so you’re good there, but with a 9” screen it is big. The functionality is incredible though. I absolutely love it.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
Yeah. It is nice, no argument here. I love my stock head unit with a grom bt3 connected. Nothing to steal hehe

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah. It is nice, no argument here. I love my stock head unit with a grom bt3 connected. Nothing to steal hehe
Oh wow I didn’t even know that was an option! I’ll have to look into it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'll second the GROM Audio recommendation. I've had it installed in my truck for probably 10 years at least, and been very happy with it.

Reactions: Bigmant773

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a cassette tape adapter with CarPlay feature? It would work on my 99 D2 with the original stereo.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
Umm. A cassette adapter with a 3.5mm plug directly into your mobile phone

Reactions: V50_M66
1 - 16 of 16 Posts