Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So question for you stereo guys out there. I have some nice subs in the rover, which I like for normal daily driving. Only problem is I am often times on a job where I need more good cargo space. I've had to remove the subs a couple of times to fit in equipment, which is just a pain in the butt.

I am actually thinking of buying a large industrial plug. mounting the female end somewhere in the interior, and running power to one prong, ground to another, remote to another, and still not sure if I can do it with teh Rca outs as well. Then putting the mail end on a line comming off the sub with the same configuration. That way, when I want to have my subs, I can just plug them in and go, but if I need the cargo space, unplug them and remove them.

I've never seen anyone try something like this before. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bro,

I wish it was easier to load pics on this site because then I would show you how I had my sub installed.

I had them cut out the rear cargo box on teh passenger side to teh shape of my Infinity sub.
It looks sweet, some think it's factory.
But im just stoked that I have my sub back there for that bass, and it doesnt take away any space at all from my dogs when they are cruising with...

I will take a pic later and upload it to snapfish then just post a link.

Later, Sharky

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Stereo Subwoofer install ideas....

Hi again from Adam in NYC

Stereo Subwoofer install ideas....

Done a few so I can say a few ideas.

*Look at what you got.
*Look at what you want to go.
*Look at all the unused locations you haven't thought off.

*Look at what you got.

If you want to recycle your transducers, you can. Most subwoofer system now use a special amp just to ping-pong the subwoofer around. If you want to, you can ditch the enclosure and mount it either forwards or backwards. It won't matter since we humans perceive low-frequency sound as non-directional. (That is also why you only see one woofer in x.1 systems (So the thread title is not really accurate).)

To clarify, you can mount the conventional woofers provide the cones have the proper travel for the cones. If you are going to mount them down, I suggest making gaskets to stop the cone from crashing into a panel and also have pressure slits in the gasket supporting the woofer so the moved sound can get out of the way. If you are buying air-suspension transducers, then you don't have to worry about that. They have additional sturdy foam to handle the compressed air created by the woofer and won't blow open from the sealed compressed air.

Learned something new, huh?

Here is another idea. You can also get the kicker transducers (looks like the back of the sub without the cone) and mount those on the bottom of the seats. Then you can feel the bass without sounding like a deaf gangster.

Wanna see them? Check out the past #02 issue of Make:technology on your time. www.makezine.com from O'Reilly. The article shows how to do your easychair so mounting your front seats will be slightly different. www.amazon.com and www.b&n.com has the rag, for a hefty $14.99. Excellent magazine for the makers in the group. They also have articles about open source carmaking.

*Look at what you want to go.
*Look at all the unused locations you haven't thought off.

If you don't care, use the spaces under the front seats and inside the central shoulder box. Haynes Truck Customising book has a chapter on a kit for hiding a subwoofer using a EV woof. Beg, buy or borrow this overpriced book that has only one(?) picture of a red Disco XD.

If you care, get rid of those midget rear seats and put them woofers there or redo the rear door panel. If you are putting a lot more weight on the rear door, time to get those massive hinges so you don't break the OEM hinges.

The most important questions are: Do you want to have kids? IS IT TOO LOUD? Check local jurisdictions for new noise abatement laws and also ponder if your investment will have to be reported to your auto insurer in case your ride gets stolen or pilfered.

Two things I always do when I hit my block, tinted windows up and stereo goes off a block or two away. No running noses wanting to know my business and no local showing off. I look stock and boring (like that is possible with a D1). These are the dudes who wanna your stuff because they are jealous and don't want you to have it.

Enough said.

Questions? Class recess. Dodgeball, anyone (grin)?

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adam in NYC USA said:
Questions? Class recess. Dodgeball, anyone (grin)?

Adam in NYC :drive:

Hey, I worked on that movie. Anyways, I know what you mean. I had a competition stereo (for the day) in my firebird, and after about 3 months of use, someone else decided they liked it better. All teh same, I like a good stereo. Right now I have a folded horn box, it is large, but I love the sound. I could definately start looking for somewhere better to mount the subs... I'll have to pick up that book.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Hailsharky said:
Bro,
I wish it was easier to load pics on this site because then I would show you how I had my sub installed.

I will take a pic later and upload it to snapfish then just post a link.

Later, Sharky
Why don't you just upload it to the site like everyone else does.. it's VERY easy to upload pics here!

Serg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now I just did it the easy way. I used a Chevy 7 pin trailer wiring plug I had laying around, only needed 5, but used what I had. Then wired power, ground, remote, and rca's to different pins. Mounted the female in the back interior. Then wired the same pins on the male going to the amp, which is mounted on the sub. I know it's not the cleanest way, but it worked well as a quick fix. Now when I need cargo space, I can just unplug the box, and take it out. Hope to soon install the subs in a better spot though.

Ryan

·
Registered
590 Posts
Serg said:
Why don't you just upload it to the site like everyone else does.. it's VERY easy to upload pics here!

Serg
Serg Dude,

I love this site, but uploading pics is an accomplishment.

It's more technical then just hitting browse, finding the pic and sellecting the pic like I am used to doing on all other forums I peruse.

No offense,

I actually uploaded pics before, but I cant remember how I did it, and I remember when I did do it, it was by trial an error LOL :dunno:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
No offense taken... it's quite simple actually. This is THE most used Forum software out there. That is why I went with it..

When you post there is a box that says "Manage Attachments".. you just click that and then browse your PC for the pics and upload them. That's all there is to it.

Serg

·
Registered
590 Posts
Your right it is easy, one problem I left out since it's been a while since I posted a pic............................

How do you get the pic shrunken down so it can be posted.

My pics are to large.

Hassle.

Be better if it just shrunk the pic down automaticly so you didnt have to deal with the file size.

·
Registered
590 Posts
NorCalDisco2 said:
If you can't figure out how to post pics, please send them to me in e-mail, to [email protected]

I've got the same problem with cargo space/subs and it drives me nuts!!!
Hey Brutha,

I just emaile dyou 4 or 5 pics of my set up.

Hope it helps :drink1:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Hailsharky said:
Your right it is easy, one problem I left out since it's been a while since I posted a pic............................

How do you get the pic shrunken down so it can be posted.

My pics are to large.

Hassle.

Be better if it just shrunk the pic down automaticly so you didnt have to deal with the file size.
Well you need to learn the basics of how to change pic size. I pay for the bandwith here, so I limit it. I upped the sizes you can upload a few months ago. I have limited funds devoted to run this place... So just learn how to resize. It's simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.