Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my stereo in my 2000 Disco so I can hook my Ipod up directly and maybe have Sirius. I've heard a couple different things. One place I went to said they'd have to replace all of my speakers and wiring and then some... Minimum of $700. I've also heard that there's a kit to allow a new stereo to be compatible with the current speakers and wiring. :dunno: What's the scoop? I'd appreciate any words of wisdom from those who've been there.

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
You can just hook up your Ipod directly to the stock system with a special adapter... You don't need to buy tons of stuff. If you decide to change the HU you will need to change the some other stuff but if your changing out the HU your most likely changing out the other stuff anyway.

· Registered
29 Posts
Stereo

Just about any newer stereo has an aux. jack. You can plug your iPod directly into that using a cable that plugs into your headphone jack on your iPod. I just put a $179 Alpine in my D90 and ran a cable from the back. It works great (when I am not moving, the stereo is all the way up, and I have my head next to the speaker. You won't have these issues in the Disco.) Several other less expensive stereos had the same option, and a few had the aux jack in the front. Check out Crutchfield.com for a list of stereos that fit.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the adapter. It sounds like poop, looks messy and I always know when I'm getting an incoming cell call.... I'm looking to grow up and get a big girl's stereo. Thanks for the words though.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
They do make kits that will allow an aftermarket radio work with your stock amp/speakers. I had to have a wire kit put in when I changed out the head unit on my old Lincoln mark VIII which had a JBL premium sound system in it. It cost $10 extra from a local install shop.

Also here is a good link with info on radio installs:

www.installdr.com

319 Posts
You must have a cheaper adapter. The adapter I was refering to is just under $200 bucks ;) and its install with the factory harness.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
darkknight1999 said:
You must have a cheaper adapter. The adapter I was refering to is just under $200 bucks ;) and its install with the factory harness.
Oh wow! Yes, mine certainly is a cheaper adapter. I'll look into the kind you're speaking of.
Thanx!

319 Posts
Yeah I'll try and find the part number and name brand for you.

· Registered
291 Posts
Hello,
If you go to a reputable car shop, and not a best buy, or a circuit city, you can have a stereo put in for about 100 plus the cost of the head unit. You do not need to replace all the speakers, you just need to wire the head unit into the system. This is a little hard since the system is already amplified, but It can be done, and it is not insanely expensive. I do and have a lot of work done. Its possible, and relatively easy, just don't take it to a best buy, or a circuit city, or anything like that. They are going to charge you 3 or 4 times what they should, and they don't usually know what they are doing. Good luck!

· Registered
53 Posts
Look in at the pics/description on the link in my signature. I've changed everything out - total cost was about $2K, that's with a buddy's Infinity employee discount (60% off retail). Ignore the hedious sub box/wires :moon: , it's been changed by now :D I've done the install in about two days, since I got two rolls of Dynamat rolled on doors/panels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.