Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that whenever the temp here in Iowa gets below about +20F my throttle tends to be sticky. It varies on where it gets stuck (sometimes around 1500rpm up to around 3000rpms), it also can actually creep up while in park. I did all the usual steps, cleaned the butterfly, checked the cables, made sure none of the tubes leading to and from throttle body area were clogged etc. when I noticed something, at some point a previous owner has apparently bypassed the throttle plate heater and just looped the hose back to the coolant reservoir! I am noticing the sticking more on the highway then around town (although it does do it a little here and there). Might be a dumb question, but would re-attaching the hoses to the heater plate most likely solve the problem? Only thing I haven't done yet that I will when it warms a bit is detach the idler valve and clean that, any suggestions or comments would be nice, thanks

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Living in Colorado, I have by-passed the per-heater 11 gears ago at a lot cold temps and never had an issue.
Leave the idle valve along , by trying to clean it, I have seen way to many people kill theirs by trying to clean it and land up buying a new one cause they screwed their old one up. If you think about it, that valve is just a by pass the the butter fly and is limited to just a slight range of RPM control.
By the way, have you had any fault code numbers?

·
Registered
115 Posts
For what's it's worth, my 2004 will stick whenever outside temperature gets below -15C no matter how much lubrication I use in there. I had to bypass the heater some time ago and haven't had time to repair it yet.

Franky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I wont touch the idler valve, Disco Mike I am getting a couple codes, cant remember exact numbers but I am getting the one for "rough road/abs" (three amigos have been on since I bought it, used the amigo scanner and it said that the right front wheel spped sensor was bad) and cylinder 5 misfire (which happens quite frequently), been using Bosch Platinum +4s but bought some Champions to switch out when weather warms a bit, I also go through some coolant, have to top off the reservoir maybe once a month, suppose that might be kinda normal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Next time it sticks. Operate the throttle at the throttle body. If it doesn't stick, its not the throttle body and I wuld look at the cables (throttle and cruise). If it does stick, then the issue is with your throttle body.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First never lube any part of the throttles body or cable, just asking for problems when doing that.
As for sparks, leave the plus 4's in there year around, they have no issues in winter or summer. What plug wires are you running, by brand and size?
If you are loosing coolant, get the system pressure tested, find the leak and repair it before you over heat the engine cause coolant is not supposed to leak in a closed system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.