Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks I've had my 95 LWB for five years now and have spent close to $ 8,000 keeping this capable monster on the road. Water pumps, radiator, alternator, EAS (oh Lord!)...etc I can deal with a lot but this one has me ready to go back to BMW....it never put me down. Here is the story... A month and half ago I went on a two week trip and when I returned the vehicle would not start. Starter motor is fine, brand new battery. The nearest dealer is about 100 miles away so I placed the car in the care of my local hometown mechanic for a month while I was out of the country on business. During this time he has had me replace:

- Sparks plugs & wires
- distributor cap, rotor, and coil

His fuel test confirms that the car is gettng gas.

What the heck else could it be? My guy is no RR mechanic but this stuff isn't rocket science... . The car was running fine when I parked it-- now I haven't heard the engine run in over a month. I can deal with a lot but this is about it! Thoughts anybody? Does the fact that the hundity is about 100% dialy here have anything to do with it?

Hunter
-

·
Registered
40 Posts
The biggest cause of electrical problems is poor contacts in the connectors in the wiring loom. They are especially troubled by the effects of power washing. They'd be my first port of call.

Have you checked the crankshaft sensor? It's got to work in order for the engine to start and run.

If that's OK, check the camshaft sensor, which is needed to get the engine started.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Geoffrey F Miller said:
The biggest cause of electrical problems is poor contacts in the connectors in the wiring loom. They are especially troubled by the effects of power washing. They'd be my first port of call.

Have you checked the crankshaft sensor? It's got to work in order for the engine to start and run.

If that's OK, check the camshaft sensor, which is needed to get the engine started.

X2 This is a common problems on jeeps here...... I have seen the same fix work on more cars than I can remember

·
Registered
49 Posts
We're just recouping from the same problem

We started off replacing the cap & rotor and then the plugs and wires and that did nothing. Then my husband (this is his very mechanically inclined wife typing) changed out the coil and fixed some weird looking little doo-dad next to it. That fixed the problem temporarily - we didn't realize how temporary until 2 months later. More recently we cleaned out all of the little parts that have to be cleaned out (there are a whole mess load of them, but the difference in running is huge) and we have once again relplaced the cap and rotor - the first one was a knock off that said OEM part and was not at all. Do you know if your mechanic has been using genuine parts or the cheaper knock offs? It seems to make a big difference.

On another note - we also have 2 '87 Suzuki Samurai's (one is currently parts for the other) and we have always bought original replacement parts with only good results - we tried to be cheap with the rover and now are having to replace the right catalytic converter because one cheap part caused a whole mess load of other problems.

You may want to look at our past threads (CurvyRover) for some ideas too.

Good Luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.