Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experimented with making the viscous clutch on the fan a locker?
is there any known problem with making the fan spin at the speed of the engine at all times?

So far I've fixed the electric fans and I've had the radiator rodded out and I've replaced the thermostat and the fan switch on the thermostat housing.

I still overheat when using the A/C in the heat (90+Degrees) and it doesn't cool as well(it's actually almost warm)
I don't think the compressor is creating excessive resistance.

Would an engine flush do any good?

Any and all help appreciated.

Eric

95 Disco 174K miles

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Have you checked the temp sender to the gauge to make sure it's not sending a bad signal? I think on the D1 it's just below and to the left of the t-stat housing? My sender just went out (new one coming tomorrow). Now instead of sitting in the middle of the gauge, it is very close to red but the temp is proper.

My fan clutch has been seized for two years (just installed new one), it just works the engine harder and is much louder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last year i was having a over-heating problems after changing thermostat, flushing, then re-coring the radiator, changing the fan clutch it turned out there was a ground problem somewhere in the car, when id pump the brakes the temp gauge would go up. It was solved with one free wire off the shop floor Drove me crazy for a while. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
i too had an overheating problem with my 94 disco. i had the radiator cleaned and flushed and changed the thermostat and the thing still overheated with the a/c. when i changed the temp sender, the problem was gone. you should probably change it. its only around $8 at the dealer and only takes about 10 min to change.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
62sunbeam said:
Ah if it were only the gauge I was worried about.

I worry about the boiling, steaming coolant sparaying out of the expansion tank.

Eric

95 Disco 175K miles
:dunno:
Now you have me confused. I and others posted a reply to the same query you made on a different forum. No where did you mention that you were losing water/steam through the expansion tank. If this is the case, you could have a leaking head gasket. If you have allowed the engine at some stage to really over heat, this can cause the heads to warp nad cause the leaking head gasket. A way to check if this is possibly a problem, run your engine, remove the expansion cap and see if any air bubbles are visible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it's the head as it only becomes an issue when REALLY HOT. I would think that a seaping or blown head gasket would blow compression gas even more when cold once the seal has been broken.

I picked up a $20 Autometer water temp gauge and sending unit that will screw into the filler cap spot on the radiator.

I'm going to put it in and drive around with the A?C on and see how hot it really gets.

Wish me luck

Eric

95 Disco 174K miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.