Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few pix from 5-17-05: This is my '95 LWB with fully functional EAS, and standard Michelin Synchrone 205/80's. I have been very pleased with the off road capabilities of this tire, considering it is a small, very quiet highway tire. However, as the photos suggest, I had no trouble in 18"-24" snow (wet, thick and very typical for the late spring melt-off season) and in tons of clay mud that is very slippery, even handled some open water and lot's of climbing! Enjoy, and if you still have EAS functioning on your 93-onward, please consider maintaining it rather than replacing with coils!!! -Denver Dan

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Very nice! Yeah we ran into snow trying to get Saxon Mtn on both the Georgetown & Idaho Spgs sides,,,at about 10,000 feet. From then on it was unpassable. Great mud at lower elevations, though. I'm trying to get some folks out wheeling this Thursday. Will probably do an easy to moderate trail. PM me if you are interested.

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
god that thing looks beautiful. haha. I love the look of the LWB. As much as I like the cyclone wheels, I like the TWR 5 spoke's even more. The color looks amazing in that environment. I agree with you on the air suspension maintenence. From what I hear, if you keep up with the air suspension and do your own work, it really isn't too expensive. Plus superior on road handling, quieter ride, and adjustable height outweigh the bad. If you're really concerned. Fit that ingenious MARS system.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day Two opening trails in San Jaun Forest!

What a great day! Got to open two trails for the first time since last fall, and what a treat it was to negotiate some very difficult terrain whose features were still preserved from the (mostly failed) attempts at traversing while covered in snow - some so deep the "extra-extra high" feature of the EAS kicked in, but the whole time never so much as slipped a wheel! If you haven't yet, you should come out to Colorado and hit some trails! -Denver Dan

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
with the EAS is it unsafe/bad for them to remove the sway bars? I removed the rear one with my coils, and it was the best thing I could ever do. If I buy a 95LWB over the summer I'd like to have the air suspension, but would also like to remove the rear swaybar.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
cellulararrest said:
with the EAS is it unsafe/bad for them to remove the sway bars? I removed the rear one with my coils, and it was the best thing I could ever do. If I buy a 95LWB over the summer I'd like to have the air suspension, but would also like to remove the rear swaybar.
I can't speak for RRs, but I removed the sways on my Disco* and after about 3-4 days of sphincter clenching finally got used to it on-road. Went off road very concerned about off-cambers and, despite another sphincter clench, took a few obstacles & now feel 100% better. HUGE difference in allowing your suspension system to do it's thing. Any lift over 2" really pointless w/ sway bars still on. Can't drive it like Mario on-road,,,, but then again that's not what they were designed for anyway.

*Disclaimer: SCSL cannot be held responsible for anyone rolling their rig. AMERICAN ATTORNEYS TAKE NOTE. SCSL has nothing for your to sue him for. SCSL makes no warranties, actual or implied, regarding the safety of removing sway bars, driving your Rover on- or off-road, or otherwise cavorting in your Rover. Any similarity to actual persons, alive or deceased, is purely coincidential. Do not attempt to take any advice from SCSL in real life. Any actions taken as a result of advice given by SCSL are taken at own risk. Cigarette smoke contains chemicals known to cause lung cancer, heart desease, and may complicate pregnancy. Side effects may include vomitting, break-outs, nausea, and dizziness. Do not remove this tag under penalty of law. No flash photography. Do not cross the yellow line. Please take a number and be seated.

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
SCSL said:
I can't speak for RRs, but I removed the sways on my Disco* and after about 3-4 days of sphincter clenching finally got used to it on-road. Went off road very concerned about off-cambers and, despite another sphincter clench, took a few obstacles & now feel 100% better. HUGE difference in allowing your suspension system to do it's thing. Any lift over 2" really pointless w/ sway bars still on. Can't drive it like Mario on-road,,,, but then again that's not what they were designed for anyway.
That's exactly how I feel. I only took my rear one off. Partly because one of the joints was going and it was making some loud clunking noises. When I took it off, I really didn't feel a huge difference. But off road it's amazing.

I was just wondering if it would stress the air bags with the EAS to remove the sway bars. I don't really know how the bags seal or anything, but I've heard they seal at the top and bottom. If the axle were to drop too far, would it let all the air out? Do the sway bars keep that in check? Is there some other way they keep the axle from 'hyperextending'?

· Registered
388 Posts
If you remove the sways on an EAS RR, you could overflex the axle and break the level sensors... Then well you know wht ahappens after that :)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sway bar removal info

Thanks for the positive comments - a labor of love, as we all know, but one that I find to be well worth the trouble! On the sway bar removal, or installation of sway bar disconnects, here is what I have learned from a former engineer for the EAS, from it's inception through the P-38's:
IF you have functioning EAS DO NOT remove the sway bars and DO NOT install sway bar disconnects: the EAS WILL allow for full axle travel/articulation even with these connected by engaging the "extra-high" (read that as the non-user-selectable height) setting when the EAS ECU senses the need to do so. I have done a lot of rock crawling with my LWB and have felt this kick-in from time to time, but have never needed to disconnect the anti-sway bars off-road. Primarily this IS because the axle can not travel any further than what the "extra-high" setting will allow without unseating the air bladders from their pistons, un-calibrating or darn near tearing off the height potentiometers (height sensors), and causing one heck of a mess. Obviously, if you have a coil conversion, the next thing to do after converting to coils is to install anti-sway bar disconnects, which allow you to have very safe highway driving and highly articulated off-roading. Personally, I would only go with the disconnects, and would not completely remove the sway-bars, but whatever works for you... Additionally, if you have a 93-95 Classic, or a P-38, with functioning EAS, about the only suspension lift modifications you can make are to lower the top shock tower mounts (by about 2" on my model) to have much better access to the suspensions "sweet spot" - the sacrifice will be in on highway handling, etc. IF you do so, REMEMBER to recalibrate your potentiometers BEFORE you reconnect the battery!!! I plan on doing this in the fall, and will provide photos and info at that time. I did have anti-sway bar disconnects on my '89 Wrangler, with a 4" Skyjacker lift, etc, and found them to be essential for off-roading - but that, as we all know, was just a jeep. "I understand the 'Jeep thing' - that's why I bought a Rover!" - Denver Dan

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
Well no matter what the EAS does, the anti-sway bar is still going to limit articulation. That's pretty much what they're there for. It's a small price to pay though. The vehicle is still amazingly capable off-road. I just notice that since removing the rear that it sticks even better than it did before while going up rock faces or any kind of situation where one of the rear wheels needs to drop.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Nice pics...that LWB looks just like my parents first rover

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.