Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and need some help. I've got an 04 DII. The other day I pulled into a parking lot and heard a grinding noise and felt like the wheels were locked for just a brief second. My gf thought we had bottomed out which seemed very unlikely but there was a slight raise to the driveway followed by a dip so I kinda thought maybe. The next day we hit some railroad tracks and it did the same thing. Then this morning I was leaving the gas station. My rear right wheel went off the curb causing the noise again. This time I was able to pinpoint it to the front right wheel. I have no idea where to even begin. I'm ok around am engine but no idea what goes on with the awd 4x stuff which is what I'm guessing it is. Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First never guess, how many miles on the truck and how mechanical are you?
It is not your 4 wheel drive, more then likely your brakes and or a bad hub. What ever it is do not drive it until it can be repaired.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm somewhat mechanical. I can deal with most minor engine issues and some bigger jobs if I have the time. The truck has 130k on it. I do get the 3 amigos from time to time but was putting that off till spring. I haven't had any other issues with brake noise or braking. There seems to be a lot if brake dust but I've been chalking that up to cheap pads by the previous owner.

Wouldn't a bad hub make noise most if the time and in a turn? this is rare and only when going over a bump.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you want some help, pm me your number and I'll call you and what you thru what to check.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It could be your ABS or traction control kicking in. My TC kicks in when I go over a railroad crossing. When it does the TC light illuminates on the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing lights up. The amigos do randomly but that's been going on since summer. Just a grinding noise and the sense that one of the wheels is locked up for a second if even that long. I was thinking maybe something to do with the awd like it thinks a wheel is slipping so it's transferring power but there is an issue with something in that process. Mike's probably right (I hope) and it's a hub which isn't too big of a deal to fix. My past experience with those issues have been totally different symptoms though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.