Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
My last post was regarding replacing the old Solex that was on my '63 (it leaked and kept airlocking the engine on steep hills while off-roading). As a follow up, I'd like to say that although I have'nt taken it off-road since the Weber conversion, it definately runs a lot better and will most likely perform well off-road too.
On to the next problem.... a strange ciclical rattle from the engine at higher RPMs. Previously, I thought it was a loose pulley wheel on the generator (nope), then I thought it was the cup for the handcrank that was loose and just rattling around a little (nope). So, anybody have any ideas? It does'nt really sound like a rod knocking, and if it was a lifter I would expect a clicking sound that you'd hear all the time. :dunno:

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
hi
You wont be sorry about the the Weber. it works even better than the Solex could even dream of.

Regarding your noise, how about "seven Tappets clapping their hands for the one that actully do the work?"
In other words Check your Valve clearance? At lower revs the noise is not audible because the valves dont move that fast, but because they move fast at high revs they actully make the noise.

Could also be weak/old return springs on your valves?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Drewfuss,
If you have the original jack, I've found that the long handle makes a great makeshift stethescope. Holding that to the engine and the other end to your ear might help you pinpoint the noise a little better.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I was also told that it could be a problem with getting enough oil. I guess that might also cause a ciclical chatter at higher RPMs. That I'll have to look into as well (since my oil pressure gauge does'nt work too well I'll have to track that down first).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dad's 2A has a Weber and mine has a Solex. Dad's definitely is harsher/rattlier at high revs than mine. It may not be related to the carbs at all, but is definitely noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts