Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a '98 d1 w/ 168k, 4.0 w/ auto. All stock.

The driver's side cat has been getting louder and louder the last few weeks, and the sunroof ecu is on the fritz, so the rear only works. Other than that, no issues.

Yesterday, my wife drops me at the local links and when she puts it into drive to pull away, I heard a strange noise, sounded like metal rubbing or very faint gear grind. There was a construction site close by, so I dismissed it as coming from there, and/or, the cat getting louder.

Sure enough, about 5 min later, my wife calls saying the a/c is not working, nor are the windows, the sunroof (rear one that is operative) or the radio. She says she is close to home and pulls into the house a few seconds later. She then says (and I can hear through the cell) that when she tries to put it into park, the worst noise ever occures just trying to put it into neutral, and that the indicator light to show what gear you are engaged in is out (but the clock is ok and no trouble-lights illuminated). It sounded very strange, unlike anything I have heard before.

I told her to turn it off, then move the gear shift into park, and extract the key, lock it (it locked with the center locking feature of the tramsmitter). After my game and a few :beer: :beer: :beer: , with my buddy (my game was ruined), I started it without incident, reved the engine, it sounded great (minus the rattle from the cat) and then engaged all the gears, without issue.

Any ideas ladies and gents? I am studying for a huge test at the end of next month, so have not the time to investigate yet.

Thanks and sorry so long,

Kieran

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I have taken it for a few drives around town, w/o issue of course.

It is now acting as though nothing was ever wrong, but it was. Looks like I am not the only one stumped. Any ideas?

Kieran :dunno:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.