Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a series III 2 1/4 petrol. When I get to 40 MPH the whole thing vibrates violently. I know they all vibrate but this is quite bad, it feels like something is out of balance, but it doesn't feel like wheels and tyres. I know it is not engine related because it does it while coasting. it does not get any worse or better between 40 and 60 mph

any ideas ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
You may have a seized or stiff Universal Joint in your rear propshaft (assuming this happens when you're in 2WD). Mine went and it set up some nasty vibrations at about 30-40 mph.

UJs are easy and cheap to get. Get two and replace both at the same time. Often if one fails, the off-balance running causes the other one to wear out, plus that if one goes, the other one is probably the same age and so should be done as well.

Be careful not to fit the UJ the wrong way round. Whilst it will fit and work perfectly, the grease nipple is only on one side, so get it wrong and you won't be able to grease the UJ (you may recognise the voice of experience here).

However, UJ noise usually occurs first as a clonk when you change gear, and tends to lessen if you coast along with the clutch disengaged. It may a wheel-bearing or something else, but I can't really comment here....

Jack

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Take a look at suspension bushes, (the nylon tube like things that fills the gap between your leafsprings and the bolts attatching the spring to the mount.)

When I got my Landy the first time the one front spring did not have bushes in! It also vibrated a lot, although at all speeds, it was more noticible at high speeds.

The easyest way is to jack the truck up using the chassis as a piont (not the diff or suspension). if the wheel is free of the ground you will be able to wiggle it around and notice any play on the leave springs.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
other idea

If non of the above work try the preload settings on the swivel pins if they are slack they can cause this problem refer to manual for how to do this.
ONz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Balance the tires or check to see if they are deformed.

Also, could be the drums that have taken a serious beating. Lift the car, turn it on and spin the wheels

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm with Onslow, swivel preload.

Get a fish scale to test it...disconnect the steering arms and see what the number is by pulling on the scale and noting the number that the housing moves at. The whole procedure is outlined in the green bible...it's pretty straightforward...

Bogatyr

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Three Votes for Onslow

I also would be suspicious that the swivel preload is to light. Not a hard job, unless the swivel pins are worn, or the bushing which fits into the swivel ball itselfis worn. Then it's just more dissassembly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Start off with a zero-cost test (apart from a squirt of fuel).

Vibration is almost always down fo a failed UJ, and as Series vehivcles usually euse the rear axle only, it's almost always a rear prop UJ.

Remove the rear prop, engade 4wd high (yellow knob down), and test drive. If the vibration is gone, it's a rear prop UJ. If the vibration persists, refit the rear prop and try again with the front prop off. Again, diappearance of the vibration will confirm a failed front prop UJ.

Second stage is to check the wheel bearings by gently rotating each wheel by hand, feeling for notchiness, noises and free play. Check the swivel pins aren't worn at the same time.

Next, get the wheels' balance checked. This is fairly cheap. Also have the tyres checked for bulges, flat spots or defoermities.

·
Registered
19 Posts
vibrations

beechit said:
I have a series III 2 1/4 petrol. When I get to 40 MPH the whole thing vibrates violently. I know they all vibrate but this is quite bad, it feels like something is out of balance, but it doesn't feel like wheels and tyres. I know it is not engine related because it does it while coasting. it does not get any worse or better between 40 and 60 mph

any ideas ?
If it's only at speed could it be the steering damper?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts