Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, here is the deal. New owner of the 2005 LR3 and I loved it, until yesterday. I had been getting the occasional suspension fault but as soon as it came it would go away. Yesterday, it didn't go away and it is now stuck in access mode. The list of what I have done to fix the issue:

1. Replaced the 20 and 60 amp fuses in engine bay that have to do with EAS
2. Replaced the R7 relay that is associated with EAS
3. Replaced the break switch as per this thread
Transmission fault, HDC, lowered suspension height -- resolved - Land Rover and Range Rover Forums

Still nothing. I no longer here the compressor which leads me to believe that's what it is. I have just read to many times within threads associated with the compressor that even after replacing it happened again. I won't be on the list of people buying 6 of these things.

I would love to attempt to remove the compressor myself as per this guys instructions, but again, I would hate to spend $800 dollars for one and it not be the issue.
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f41/lr3-replacing-suspension-compressor-45554/

2 questions.
Is there a parts site that anyone could recommend to purchase a compressor from?
Is there anything else I should do before attempting the compressor fix?

Thank you for any and all responses!

UPDATE:
I rolled down the window, started it and ran to where the pump is to hear any signs of life. It comes on for what seems 25 seconds and then shuts off. At which point all special programs get cut off and the suspension fault, amber light, comes on. I hope this helps as it makes me feel as though it could be resuscitated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I replaced the air dryer on my sisters LR3. She was getting suspension faults about 30 seconds after startup. The compressor isn't getting enough air and overheats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the air dryer on my sisters LR3. She was getting suspension faults about 30 seconds after startup. The compressor isn't getting enough air and overheats.
Good to know, thanks. If it was an '05 do you happen to know the part number?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hers is an 05. I also replaced the delivery valve, Part No. LR020590 and the drier is Part No. VUB504700.

I purchased the parts from http://www.landroverpartscenter.com

You need to remove the compressor to do the job. You remove the bottom cover, disconnect a few air lines and the elect connectors. There were three bolts holding the compressor to the frame. A ratcheting wench makes taking out and putting in the top bolt easy. I used electrical tape to hold the top bolt in the bracket when I was reinstalling the compressor. It is in a very tight spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude your awesome. I will be getting these ordered soon and give an update.
The compressor doesn't look that bad to remove although I have heard that top bolt is a pain. I was thinking about removing it tomorrow and cleaning it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the compressor runs for a bit before kicking the "Suspension Warning" lamp on, its usually a fault for "system slow to fill", meaning it isn't building up enough pressure fast enough. Sometimes, when you first start the vehicle, you can hit the "up" button for the suspension and it will try and raise (although very slow) before disabling the suspension system. Do this enough times and you may eventually get it back to "Standard" height.

I have not had much luck with the dryer kits, since the Hitachi compressors are poor to begin with. There is a software update that goes along with the hardware upgrade (dryer kit), but I would put the updated compressor assembly on first, before paying to have the software updated, since that has its own software update, different from the dryer upgrade software. (meaning that if you eventually did put a compressor on, you would be paying for two software updates.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea that is exactly what it would do, it just never left access height. To give an update. I had it removed and it just was dead. It came on, which would obviously explain the sound, but it wasn't doing much of anything else. As it turns out the local dealer here, Huntsville, Alabama was $600 dollars cheaper estimate to replace than a smaller shop. Had to replace the compressor but also a cross-link valve for the front to rise. It had gone bad as well. They did everything and I had the Rover back by lunch. Had I done it myself I wouldn't of known about the valve and most likely would of had to take it in anyway. Couldn't risk it with everything else going on.

Love my Rover and i'm glad she is back to full health!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts