Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forum.

I have 1992 SWB County. Break lights appear to be working. (Are the middle section lights supposed to turn on when you break? I get the top of the rear lights lighting with the main light switch and the bottom part of the rear lights lighting when I pressed the break, but nothing in between, assuming those are the turn signals. (New to RRC, sorry).

I've been able to gather this is often a break light switch issue or a solenoid issue.

Can someone tell me how to replace the break light switch? If that doesn't work I've read you should take out the solenoid in the gear shifter. Can anyone explain how to remove the housing around the shifter and how to remove the solenoid should the break light switch not solve the problem.

Also, since the problem happened I noticed a new buzzing sound when the key is turned to position II (the position needed to close the sunroof) Any idea what that might be?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
To replace the brake light switch (I have them in stock) gently prise the left A/C vent to one side or the other and pull the vent out. Now, reach into the space left and gently lift the tabs that retain it in the wood trim. There are screws that extend upward, remove those screws to remove the wood trim. This will expose antoher screw, or to. Remve them and remove the wood trim. There is a screw on the far left that extends upward, remove this one as well. On the right side, there is a single screw that goes upward, remove. There are two horizontal screws at the bottom of the bolster, removre them.

Push the bolster toward the front of the truck while pulling downward to clear the nacelle around the steering column. don't get ahead of yourself as there is a connector that runs to the dimmer for the dash lights.
Also, there is a box on the left side that is the bulb check module, you can gently pull the springs to allow it free.

Now that you finally have access, the brake light switch has four pins. The one with two and a vacuum line is the cruise control release switch.

To remove the brake light switch, there is a collar that locks it into place on the bracket. Pull the collar toward the front of the truck and gently turn it a quarter turn and withdraw the switch. FWIW-I just break them [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Would it be possible to give a better description of how to identify the brake light switch, remove it, and replace it?

I'm afraid once I get the lower panel off I wont understand what to do. Are there any pictures or videos your can refer me to?

Could a faulty break light switch cause the abs light to stay on?

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
The switch on the top is the brake switch, the lower one is the cruise control switch. You want to remove the upper one. You can tell the difference by the electrical connectors. The one for the brake light is wider due to the four pins whereas the one for the cruise is smaller with just two pins. Also, the cruise control switch will have the vacuum hose coming out of it as well.

Your ABS light is on for an entirely different reason. For that you'll need to do some research into diagnosing your ABS system. You can do it without computers and the steps are available on line.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
If your brake light switch is indeed bad, it will definitely cause the ABS light to remain illuminated.

I did say I have brandy new switches in stock, didn't I?

·
Registered
255 Posts
As much as I love this truck, there are some things that will just screw you if they fail when you are waaaay off road.

I have been stuck twice by the USA park solenoid. I was green the first time, and like everyone else had to dig through the console to push back the solenoid pin and move out of park. Broken/smashed tail light got me that time. The second time was in a parking lot, hot weather, shirt and tie; dug through the console again. BUT THAT WAS THE LAST TIME. Once home I replaced the broken brake switch AND installed a bypass button. Just set up a momentary push button on the steering column to supply power to the solenoid.

Besides this funky interlock, the air bag suspension will also leave you to the wolves; say you are up on engineer or olphir when it breakes. Yea, I went to springs too. So while you are replacing the brake switch, install a bypass switch and don't get your nice shirt dirty!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.