Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I was at work last night and I got a call from my wife.

We have a SMALL PROBLEM! :dunno:

The Disco II is stuck in park and will not come out. SMALL PROBLEM ONLY If, your wife didn't stop the truck half in the street" to grab the mail because it is a whole 15 ft to the house. :eek:

I told her to call the Dealer, While I raced home.

THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW :D . They tell her, "POP" the piece of plastic around the shifter (pull it straight up). There is a Black colored Button on the back side of the aluminum part of the shift that you will have to push in to release the shifter. This will either fix it or it might be broken. If it is broken, there is a part you have to buy for about 30 dollars that works with a switch off the brake pedal. Keep in mind if it is broke, you can but might not want to drive the vehicle because now the brake lights don't work either.

· Registered
17 Posts
If it still stuck, when engine on and running, put your foot on the brake pedal and attempt to move shifter. When you do this look at the gear selection light below the shifter, if this flashes but does not move the shifter, put the hand brake on. press the rear window wiper buttons to see if they affect the shifter selection light. If it goes out very quickly pull the shifter back into neutral. When depressing the window wiper button DO NOT put your foot on the brake. This may possibly release the shifter for you. You will be able to play like this for a while.

Look at the brake pedal. You have two switches. The lower one with the tube attached is the cruise control (ignore), remove the one above it. and get a dealer to replace this part, more than likely there lies your problem.

cheers

· Registered
590 Posts
Is this something we should replace every few years?
I have a 2000 series II and would rather replace a 30 dollar part now, then become stranded someplace while H2's drive by snickering.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
superpowerdave said:
Does anyone know the name of this part? I'm going to try and order from Land Rover and do the refit myself but I don't know what to ask them to order for me.
Why bother ordering from LR, get it from AB, BP, 4x4AG, DAP, etc... it's a brake light switch.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Hailsharky said:
Is this something we should replace every few years?
I have a 2000 series II and would rather replace a 30 dollar part now, then become stranded someplace while H2's drive by snickering.
It would'nt hurt to key one as a spare cause they can fail at the worst times.
Mike

· Registered
178 Posts
nomad said:
If it still stuck, when engine on and running, put your foot on the brake pedal and attempt to move shifter. When you do this look at the gear selection light below the shifter, if this flashes but does not move the shifter, put the hand brake on. press the rear window wiper buttons to see if they affect the shifter selection light. If it goes out very quickly pull the shifter back into neutral. When depressing the window wiper button DO NOT put your foot on the brake. This may possibly release the shifter for you. You will be able to play like this for a while.

Look at the brake pedal. You have two switches. The lower one with the tube attached is the cruise control (ignore), remove the one above it. and get a dealer to replace this part, more than likely there lies your problem.

cheers
Is this a real fix???? seems a little hokey. How is the rear window wiper connected to the gear shifter?

· Registered
106 Posts
mine did this shortly after we got it, the shifting linkage just adjusted itself, so we re-adjusted it to where it should be. Shifts out of park fine now.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
superpowerdave said:
Wish me luck ... ordered my brake light switch from Autozone tonight, should be here in the morning. Will come back and report on the correction, or lack thereof, when all is said and done.
You know, DAP pays to support this site ... you could've ordered it from them instead of Autozone who doesn't give a rats ass about us or our LRs... At least the folks at AB wheel with us and are always helpful...... even EE supplies us all with tons of info ....

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Did you actually check that the switch was bad? It's usually the brake lamp fuse that goes. Of course, I still carry a brake switch in my glove compartment. :)
I'm curious what Autozone gets for the switch and who made it though. :)

· Registered
17 Posts
When you engage Park, it locks a pin in a toothed gear, in the box. If the car is on a slope or hill, it can roll back and jam the pin in the teeth.

If you try to engage Park while moving, the bang is the pin shearing off, and a big hole in the casing.

· Registered
590 Posts
superpowerdave said:
Update- Refit completed, easiest thing I ever did on a car. Twenty bucks, five minutes and three bolts. The dealership wanted $225.
Super Dave,
could you walk us through the procedure when you have a chance, and enough beer.

Cheers.

· Registered
118 Posts
Hailsharky-

On the underside of the steering column is a plastic gaurd protecting the wires underneath ... there are three plastic push screws that I eased out with a screwdriver. Once those three were removed the plastic piece pulled out easily.

From there, laying on the floormat looking up into the steering column, you can see the brakelight switch. On the backside of the piece there is a connector plugged into the rear. The front of the switch is inserted into a metal plate and the plunger on the switch is in contact with the brake pedal.

I turned the switch counter-clockwise which disengaged it from the metal plate, and then it hung freely which allowed me to disconnect the connector.

Installation was completed in same manner in reverse.

After the repair I looked my bad brake light switch over and found nothing wrong with it. The plunger still worked fine, so I can only assume that there was an eletrical short inside ... way beyond my expertise. Needless to say once everything was put back together the truck shifted perfectly.

On a side note, when the problem first occured I called the dealership and talked to one of the mechanics as to how I would move the truck. He walked me through a step-by-step way to bypass the brake light switch, but then cautioned me that the electrical part of the vehicle would still assume it was in park, therefore rendering the brake lights useless. In a pinch, to move the truck a very short distance, it worked fine.

That process included lifting the cover off the gear selector and depressing a small white circular button toward the rear and shifting out of park. If anyone needs info on what this looks like let me know, I'll snap photos and post them as well.

· Registered
21 Posts
I had the same issue with my 00 disco and this thread saved me!!! I went to land rover, bought the switch for 15 bucks, followed the instructions that you guys provided........... 5 minutes later, Im back on the road. This site has saved me thousands over the past 2 years.

· Registered
200 Posts
JMan said:
you will save a lot more if you get rid of your rover. they're cursed.
JMan, if you don't mind, please stop making comments.

You already shared your views on a thread that should have been deleted.

Many people on this forum, including myself, LOVE our LR's, quirks and all. Unfortunately, it seems like you've had a bad time, but we really don't care, now that you've sold it.

Go join a Toyota Forum.

Happy Roveri.....i mean, Take Care.......

John-Robert

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.