Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'99 Disco II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove to the store. The nine ran for about 15 min... smooth... no problems. Went in for 15 min and ow it won't start!!! It cranks strong but won't start. I checked the codes, 1590 and 0440. I'm trapped! It's a '99 dII with 146,000 miles. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
First thing that comes to me is a crank sensor

·
'99 Disco II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... update. I sat there for 30 minutes waiting for a ride. I checked every fuse that had a fuel or engine symbol, and they were all good. After the 30 min I tried restarting. I would "run" for 5 or 6 seconds, very rough and slowly die out. I replaced the plugs and wires few days ago due to very rough running and misfires. It seemed great after that, ran smooth and strong. Then the joint on the front driveshaft went out so I had to remove it and locked the transfer case to drive without it. Again, everything was fine... running smooth, no issues. Then tonight, no indication of any problem, drove to the store and when I came out it just wouldn't start. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor maybe 3 years ago, but it almost seems like that again. So my car is sitting abandoned at the store with new plugs and wires and the front drive shaft in the passenger seat. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
You might get lucky and have it start after cooling right off. If it does, get her straight home . If not it may need to assume the "English position (back of a tow truck)... I'm putting my money on the crank sensor from all you have described
Good luck, let us know how you make out

·
Registered
674 Posts
Purge valve???

...this happened almost a decade ago to a friend of mine via the forums.

Hyundai part iirc, real cheap. Stupid easy fix. Purge valve caused th misfire, then started to crap new O2 sensor in this case.

I personally have never had the 0440 code but I've seen it at length on this forum. Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I'e never seen a purge valve prevent an engine from starting as even if it were full open, flow would be restricted through the canister and plumbing.

First question, do you have spark when cranking?

Let's start there as it's an easy test that will determine our next steps in diagnosing.

Yeah, I really do love no-starts. What is more challenging than an engine that won't start?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.