Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
my first post, and it's asking for help on my 1st LR product. I was not successful at searching the forums here and found nothing specific online that helped.
'04 Disco SE, 80k, driving uphill, stopped at intersection, upon acceleration it went into limp mode. MS lights flashing.
I turned it off, to try to reset, now won't start. Dash lights come on, MS lights flash, not cranking, 2 windows are stuck down, sunroof open in Seattle in March.
Brand new battery. Alarm sets, doors lock, fob works. I moved the shift lever, I thought maybe the neutral safety switch was messed up. Nope.
A friend came by and ran the codes, there was something about an alarm open circuit, the rest were unreadable, available only from Rover?
Please help, I don't want a mildewed fishbowl.
Thanks.
Peter

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune.
Sort of sounds like a neutral safety switch (X.y.z. Switch) as for starting and M/S light flashing butdoes not explain the windows and sunroof
Sounds like you are in need of a proper scan tool and not just a code reader.
If you post codes by number, I'm sure someone can help lead you in the right direction?
A little history would help also (you mentioned battery is new - when and why?
Why were the sunroofs open in Seatle in March?
They can be manually cranked closed through the small rectangular access hole. That one I'm sure you will find in a search

Best of luck

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeper in trouble here...

Redtruck, Thanks for the tears of empathy!
Battery was new as rig had been sitting, had cheapie installed. Now has better cheapie installed.
Sunroof open in March? A banner day in the Northwest! Time to eliminate as much mold/mildew smell as possible.
My bud ran the LAUNCH scanner through the truck, most stuff he couldn't get into, so I can't report what he found other than "open circuit-Alarm"
I'm still struggling with the rig, so any help/ direction is appreciated.
To recap: no crank, no start, MS lights flash on dash, all fuses checked good.
Doors lock/unlock with fob, ign. turns on with no "P" in display. Turn key to attempt cranking, entire PRND lights in display all flash together, looks like a large "D" in the display. WT(H)?? Then, once, after MANY key turns, it started. ONCE only once. Ran fine when it did, but can't replicate what was done to try again. (Pat head twice, rub tummy?) still won't start. My incantation vocabulary is very limited, aside from some choice words for the truck. Please Help!

· certified idiot
694 Posts
check all of the grounds and the ground cable on the new battery is clean and tight
cheers
Barri

I had my sunroof open too :eek

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
That "large D" isnt rather a crossed B? ...cos then it's serious trouble, or with the IDM(part of the interior fusebox) or with the BCU(behind the glovebox), both used to suffer from water ingress so check for that .... anyway before that measure the voltage on your battery to make sure it wasnt drained due to a fault in the charging system cos low voltage can cause such issues as well

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep Fery, could be seen as a crossed "B". Or "D", then the only thing left is the "S&M",
which is how I'm starting to feel with this thing.
Why would the rig go into limp mode while driving up a steep hill, accelerating from a stop sign?
Low trans fluid level? I didn't touch the shift lever until it had already gone into limp mode, then wouldn't re-start after shutting off.
Arghh.....

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
That odd symbol means misscommunication between the IDM and BCU and it can have various behaviours...you'll have to disconnect the battery, unplug the interior fusebox and inspect for water ingress/corrosion first then if this one is OK chec k the BCU behind the glovebox....provided you are certain that your battery is well connected to the clamp's earth and the charging system is wworking ok, see this thread and quoted links in it Wont crank, S M D flashing and beeping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.