Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I vented..

On Saturday, I had my day planned out to a T. After my run to Starbucks, I swung through Blockbuster to grab a couple movies to burn, all is well. I get out of there, hop in my truck, which is parked directly in front of the entrance. It fires right up as usual, I then try to engage reverse.. I can't get the thing out of park!! I tried for an easy 45 minutes every trick int he book, the damn thing will not move.. I'm thinking.. great.. I have 57K on it... how much is this going to cost.. I call the dealer, as usual.. no service on Saturdays.. Great..


Seeing that I have the extended warranty package from the dealer, I decide to call up my roadside assistance number I have on a card they gave me when I fist bought the truck (never used it before, so I didn't know what to expect) Sure enough, towing is covered under the conditions of the warranty, SWEET!

I call back up to the Land Rover/Jag dealer and tell them my delema and that they are going to give me a free loaner.. The receptionist promptly gets the manager on the phone, and wouldn't you know, No problem!

The tow truck drivers shows up and he had to come with a standard truck, a non-flatbed version.. Needless to say.. I was a little nervous. He struggled for at least 40 minutes trying to move my truck. I was pretty close to the curb so there wan't much room to put the roller wheels under the front of the truck so he attempted to drag the truck forward. That wasn't going to happen apparently because as he tried to drag it forward (using the hydrolic ram on the back ot the tow truck) he actual pulled his tow truck backwards. Nope, my Disco wasn't going to budge. After finally getting it hooked up, off to the dealer we went.

What did they have waiting for me? The usual LR3. But this one only has 230 miles on it. I was like.. SWEET! To my dismay.. this one was a V6. a V6!!! WTF?? Who orders one of these with the V6 in it? It had leather, seating for 7, rear air, rear heated seats, heated windshield, Harmon Kardon system, Captains chairs, everything, minus, the V8, Front Fogs, and no xenon's.. yet it was an SE.. On a side note, it gets about 18 MPG. ;)

Hopefully I'll find out what the heck happened to my rig today. I also noticed that when it was at the dealer, I tried to lock it and it locked just fine, but none of the exterior lamps would work.. strange...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got a call from the dealer..

Looks like the problem resides in my factory trailer wiring. Appartently there is some corrosion and it is causing a fuse to blow, and that is the issue. Fun part.. not covered under warranty. :eek: Jackasses...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
02disco2 said:
Just got a call from the dealer..

Looks like the problem resides in my factory trailer wiring. Appartently there is some corrosion and it is causing a fuse to blow, and that is the issue. Fun part.. not covered under warranty. :eek: Jackasses...
Next time grab a piece of wire or alluminum foil, remove brake switch (behind brake pedal) and jump the 1st and 2nd connection. This will disable the solenoid that goes into the shift selector. It's worked for me several times.

Or check the fuses...

Also, next time forget the F'ing Starbucks or video store and do some research on a LR forum for help or advise. Grab your cell phone and call someone for help.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John C said:
Also, next time forget the F'ing Starbucks or video store and do some research on a LR forum for help or advise. Grab your cell phone and call someone for help.
Tough to do online research from a parking lot 5 miles from my home ;) It worked perfectly prior to my departure, hense not doing the pre-homework. And forget about Starbucks? Oh man.. that's just silly ;)

Besides, that is what Road Side Assistance is for! I paid for it, it's about time I got to use it! Now I have to order another stinking trailer light kit from Atlantic...Bastards..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
02disco2 said:
Tough to do online research from a parking lot 5 miles from my home ;) It worked perfectly prior to my departure, hense not doing the pre-homework. And forget about Starbucks? Oh man.. that's just silly ;)

Besides, that is what Road Side Assistance is for! I paid for it, it's about time I got to use it! Now I have to order another stinking trailer light kit from Atlantic...Bastards..
You mean you were at Starbucks and you didn't have your laptop with you???? Shame on you.... tsk tsk

You own a LR, always carry a list of people you can call in case of a problem. BTW, that's what the Birmabright Brotherhood is out there for.

Road side assistance.... so if they showed up with a tow truck (non flatbed type) and towed your truck 25 or 50 miles on just two wheels and f'ed up the transmission, would it have been worth calling Road side assistance? NO.

Do you have a trailer? Do you tow with your Disco? Just curious.

Not trying to be a dick but you own a Rover and you are going to have to get used to breaking down, might as well get to know your vehicle.

Anyway, don't abuse the LR3 too much!!! ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,236 Posts
That is a great story!!!!! I had a problem like that when I first got my RRC....the previous owner had a U-Haul wiring job...Needless to say it was not right....I found the fuse, fixed it, went to Autozone got some new wiring harness for a few dollars and it has worked since...about 2 years!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
I had the same problem. But it was my fault. I f'd with the trailer wiring trying to temp hook up my boat to pull to storage. I did not have the connector with me at the time.

I must have shorted something and blew a fuse to the brake lights. You can not shift unless that thing senses the brake is engaged. Obviously with a blown fuse it did not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John C said:
You mean you were at Starbucks and you didn't have your laptop with you???? Shame on you.... tsk tsk

You own a LR, always carry a list of people you can call in case of a problem. BTW, that's what the Birmabright Brotherhood is out there for.

Road side assistance.... so if they showed up with a tow truck (non flatbed type) and towed your truck 25 or 50 miles on just two wheels and f'ed up the transmission, would it have been worth calling Road side assistance? NO.

Do you have a trailer? Do you tow with your Disco? Just curious.

Not trying to be a dick but you own a Rover and you are going to have to get used to breaking down, might as well get to know your vehicle.

Anyway, don't abuse the LR3 too much!!! ;)
Yeah, they towed it with a regular wrecker, but they used the wheel dollys for the front, so it's all good. There is NO way they could have dragged it up on a flatbed with the truck stuck in park.

I do tow a trailer actually, a few of them. Both boats, the jetski trailer and the snowmobile trailer. The latter is the only one I really care about until Spring rolls around :(

My truck has had many, many issues, but none that left me stranded. Guess I'll caulk this one up as a learning experience!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
02disco2 said:
Yeah, they towed it with a regular wrecker, but they used the wheel dollys for the front, so it's all good. There is NO way they could have dragged it up on a flatbed with the truck stuck in park.
Here's what happened to me:

I went to pick up my friend's D90 to take it to have a set of headers installed. I drove to Long Island with my 96 DI and picked up his D90 (using his car hauler). We decided to drive back thru Manhattan and it started to pore like crazy. The whole city was a mess, it took me 5 hours to go from the Midtown Tunnel up to the GW Bridge, it was freaking amazing. Traffic everywhere. Anyway, a few blocks from the GWB the brake switch decides to die on me. We had turned the truck off since traffic was at a stand still. So here I am with a Disco and a D90 on a trailer in the middle of the street when the traffic starts to move. I didn't know about the brake switch at the time so tried everything to get the Disco off to the side of the road. We pulled the 90 of the trailer, thru her in low gear, engaged the lockers and tried pulling the Disco to the side.... it wouldn't budge. We even tried winching it over to the side and nothing. Fianlly, I remembered I had a quart of oil under the my seat (not that my Disco leaks oil) and poured a bit under each tire, voila.... pulled the truck over to the side w/o a problem, well, all four tires were screaching buy it moved.

Trust me, the tow truck driver would've gotten the Rover onto the flatbed someway.

So now I have the Disco parked on the side of the street and need to get it running again. I call one of my buddies from the Phillyrovers group. He looks up the wiring for the brake switch on his Rave CD and checks some posts on Dweb and tells me which connectors to jump..... and it worked. Got home after 8 hours, what should've been a two hour drive..

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to point out that there is always a solution to our Rover problems and that there is always someonw willing to help.....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the advice John, I really do!

Okay ***UPDATE*** I pick up the truck.. happy to have it back actually... well, I make it to the edge of the Land Rover property, engage my signal to merge with traffic and WTF?!?!?!?? My signals don't work!!! All that happens is my trailer light flashes.. no left, right, OR hazard lamps.. Back to the service bay it went, and back home with thte same LR3 I went.. Hopefully now my Extended Warranty will cover whatever gremlin is lurking in there. Anyone have a clue?? I can't believe they'd send me on my merry way without even checking it all over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
LMAO

Come on, admit it.... you just wanted to drive the LR3 for a few more days...

Man that sucks, they must've messed up the wiring even more.... pizza heads!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
LR customer service is so-so. I had a coolent leak and took it over to LR stealershhip where of course that was covered under warranty, but they told me I needed new rotors and pads to the tune of $1300. They always seem to getcha one way or another. They were so sorry for me so they through in one new windshield wiper. Pretty lucky wasnt I? The funny thing was the following Monday morning I arrived at work to see my coolent leaking, once more. After towing in, flat bed, they told me it was a worn clamp. You think they would have seen that the first time, right?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top