Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98 discovery that is misfiring or stuttering when it's hot. It runs great when its cold. I've already replaced the Plugs, HT leads, Distributor cap and rotor arm for Landrover parts. The one thing I've noticed is it's arcing over a couple of contacts on the coil! ( had a look in the engine bay while it was dark! ) Could this be the problem? If so is it a new coil or is it the new lead I've fitted? Any help much appreciated! :beer: cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you have a NAS DI 1998 then you don't have a rotor arm, you would have a GEM system. So I'm guessing that you are not in the US.

If you have a distributor then the problem is the coil, they heat up and start to fail. Replace with a Bosch distributor. At least that's what happened to me a few years ago on my 88 RR.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Mark,

I am frequently popping in and out of the Magic Kingdom.

If you are in Riyadh, I believe there is a new S. African manager at Al Thief ... ooops sorry Al Saif according to my colleague there who has a Disco II

Personally I would replace coil and HT leads first and then see if the problem persists. (Always worth carrying spares anyway, especially if you go on desert trips)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx

Thanks for the help with the missfiring engine. The problem turned out to be two things. one was the coil was filthy on top and causing the arcing and the second was some stupid idiot put the distributor cap on 180 degrees out! ( yeah that was me!!!! didn't know that could happen !)

Thanks again for the help it was useful and correct! :beer: :wave: :drive:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it fixed, will be in Riyadh early June for some meetings. My mate Dave lives in the DQ and works on Pepsi Cola Rd (Al Olayan Company if you know it - they used to be the Land Rover Agents many years ago).

Might be there over a weekend to get some off roading done, Rumah sands is fun :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Searcaigh said:
Glad to hear that you got it fixed, will be in Riyadh early June for some meetings. My mate Dave lives in the DQ and works on Pepsi Cola Rd (Al Olayan Company if you know it - they used to be the Land Rover Agents many years ago).

Might be there over a weekend to get some off roading done, Rumah sands is fun :)

I only popped into this thread to say hello as I am an Aussie in Lebanon. I certianly plan to drive to Jordan once my Disco is up and running and you never know I might make it to Saudi one day!
Markb I just bought my Disco off your countrymen at the Embassy :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saudi man

Hi Mark & Gordon

I spent 5 years in the Magic Kingdom some 4 years ago. I did plenty of off-roading in my 96 Disco out of Rehab oops Riyadh. Edge of the world, Graffiti rock, The Red Sands etc. Your right the LR dealer is absolutely useless, SO nothings changed there then. Gordon your lucky you get to go in and get out against.
Its one of the few things I miss about the place, the Off-Road trips you just can’t beat them hear in North America. However it could be worse I could be back home in England with hardly any space to off-road.
I have great memories of the place. For all it miss giving’s the desert trip were great I miss them. The money was great, and it gave me incredible Wife.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.