Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1993 range rover lwb - Roman Bronze
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's everyone doing? I have a nagging issue. When the rover is cold it starts up fine... Drive it for a bit and as soon as I get to a red light, it acts as if it wants to shutoff... The rpm fluctuates between 1000 and 0. Here's what I have replaced so far:
Replaced both catalytic converters, both O2 sensors, fuel filter, MAF, idle steeper motor, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the resonator with a Flowmaster resonator
While at the muffler shop I put the rover on the lift and I noticed the driver side catalytic converter was red hot and the passenger side was normal.....what gives????

I've ordered 8 platinum champion spark plugs, a set of Magnacor spark plug wires and the Lucas distributor cap and rotor... Just waiting for them to come into the mail
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Did you clean out the IAC hoses that lead to the throttle?

Red hot cat is worrying. Even though its new sometimes they do fail. That usually indicates some sort of restriction. If it has come apart inside and is blocking the exhaust enough to get it that hot it may also be the cause of the running problem.

Can you get readings from the O2 sensors? Get a DVOM and compare the two sides. They should be similar.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice... But the truck was running the same way before I changed the cats... I'm still waiting for the magnacor spark plug wires.
I was advised that my injectors could be at fault being that it's only on one side. How true is that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
May not be related, but my idle was fluctuating at red lights, which turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump. Are there any codes popping up?

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was talking to paul grant and dereyk and was told maybe my timing was off and set it to tdc....i then tried the rag method, it popped out and I followed the firing sequence and then the rover wouldnt start...so I put it back to my orignal firing sequence and it started right up but still sputtered. I will go to a shop and have them do it and get it over with. On a lighter note I took out my headliner and the sunroof clips and recovered them both...but before i put them back in I must find an air compressor or go to a gas station and use their air hose and blow out the drain tubes. I also would have to get the rubber moulding for the p38.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: I was able to finally put my headliner on the truck and the also the sunroof and it looks good. For a novice I think I did a great job. Will post pics soon.......now on a different note.....I really need someone, on this forum and lives near the Brooklyn area, to come to my place to help me with this stuttering problem. I'm tired of dumping money into techs and get the truck back in same/worse condition as when I left it. I want to work with someone so I can really fix my own vehicle.....CAN ANYONE HELP ME????? I REALLY LOVE MY CLASSIC.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Those places are great when my rover is running decent but with the misfiring that's going on, I would not make it there and I might damage something or make something worse

·
Registered
255 Posts
platinum plugs. I had trouble with those in the past; switched over to the old Champions and have had good luck with NGK's. On other of my cars, experienced guys agreed that the newer Platinum type plugs just don't keep themselves clean on older and "dirtier" motors. The older plugs seem to selfclean.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Champion plugs only in the rover V8. Don't mess with the exotic plugs, it's a '63 Buick.

Glowing cats are often an indication of firing order being mixed up.

Are plugs coming out soot covered, or light brown?, Or, some of each?

Given the fact that the youngest Classic is now 20 years old, it is highly likely an injector might be leaking.

While the Lucas EMS is eay to diagnose, it will only log a DTC is something is really out of range for what the ECU expects to see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.