Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Disco 1999 series II with Harman Kardon speakers. The subwoofer in the back door is blown. Where can I find a replacement? I have looked around alittle bit and can't seem to find one. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Specifically what is "blown"?

Just to clear specifically what is wrong......is the speakers in the subwoofer non-functional or are the cones damaged or is there no sound coing out of the subwoofer. If the cones are damaged, there are outfits including some speaker manufactures that will rebuild the cones back into working order.

If there is no sound, check out the cabling out of the head unit or amplifier. I have problems with the factory Pioneer unit in my 1996 Disco and it goes back to loose connectors.

Adam :drive:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Then do this.....

GetSomeMore said:
The cone is damaged in one of the woofers.
:eek: Find a good audio store that does speaker restoration. They will remove the speaker and actually rebuild it to factory specifications.

:eek: You could also get in contact with Harmon Karmon and see if they provide the rebuild service. HK will rebuild it to factory specifications.

:eek: If the speaker manufacturer doesn't offer a rebuild service, you might want to Either replace the woofer with an aftermarket driver (It will work but not exactly sound the same) or buy a second-hand identical subwoofer and decide to do a swapout of the driver or the complete unit.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
if you do replace those woofers...

Do try to replace the drivers with polypropene drivers (plastic) rather than the regular paper cones. Then you won't have to replace it again.

The polyprop drivers deliver a tighter bass and are also more durable, especially in those panels in that 5th door.

Another rather insane thought: you could replace the drivers with one of those bozooka tubes and attach that to the door. Point the tube up and you will be able to start a rave anywhere.

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
really???

GetSomeMore said:
I deceided to get these...

speakers

and replace them myself. Land Rover wanted $215 to replace the woofer in the backdoor, labor not included.

:drive: I keep telling them to stop smoking that crack :drive:

By the way, nice choice, post a photo when you are done and please before you put the grille on please.

·
Registered
76 Posts
where are you located? i have one out of my 97 Disco that i dont even use, i just have it disconnected because i have two JL 10s in the back...

·
Registered
1 Posts
where exactly is the amp located in the dash and what does it look like??
i removed the glove box but i'm not sure which part to pull out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts