Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Subwoofers

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Capt. Ron 
#1 ·
Has anyone lately had any luck replacing the woofers in the rear door. I have a 98' DISCO bagged LE with LSE options. Both woofers have blown and I'd like to replace with something better but in the same spot. Thanks in advance. :confused

#2 ·
You will find that it cannot be done. Well you can but the end result will look sh*t. The rear 'so called woofer' is an intergrated unit that screws into the rear door. You can change out the speakers, but you can only replace them with the same size speakers. If you rip the whole thing out, you really don't have enough room to fit larger speaker anyway, not to mention you will need to cover the left over gaping hole. Find another location if you want better woofers.

#4 ·
Hey, we've got the same Disco! You're the first person I've found that has most of the LSE options on an LE. Mine's Beluga Black, how about your's? The only thing mine is lacking is the color keyed mirrors and end caps.

I'm curious to see if you get a response on replacing the factory subs. Mine are starting to rattle.

#5 ·
totallymann said:
So does anyone know of good aftermarket replacement speakers, that will fit in the box?
Never heard of it being done. The best you can hope for is to install the same sized, but better quality speaker, otherwise, you need to fit decent subs in aftermarket enclosures.

#8 ·
totallymann said:
Errant,
Weird, mine is Beluga Black also. How many miles you have on yours? Any major repairs yet? Is yours a seven seater?
I just hit 65K. No major repairs, just the alternator and the usual cleaning of the seat switches. Mine doesn't have the rear jump seats. Does your's?

#9 ·
ive been reading on this subject for a few days now. the search button will be your friend with this topic:clap:

JL audio is about the only company that makes a 6" sub, and the magnets on those are too big. fabbing up the rear door to fit in even aftermarket 6" subs just isnt worth it, not to mention the very slim chance of it working. your best bet: stay away from the door. use that large amount of space in the rear...many pics on these forums of different installs. a 10 or a 12 will fit nicely in one of the rear side storage areas:buttrock:

like i said, search for "subs" on this forum and you will have LOTS of info at your fingertips. seems like most LR owners, including me, have struggled with this issue...hope this helps!

#10 ·
I used to be an audiophile in HS(when I wasn't paying for college) and I believe JL used to make a slim line of woofers. I forget what model they were, but I'll search and see what I can find, also I think MB Quart made a slim version of woofers for such applications.

#11 ·
It's been so long since I removed mine, are they exactly 6"? I keep seeing this topic come up, and I always wonder why nobody's put a set of component woofers (or even regular speakers) back there.

Otherwise, your options are putting a subwoofer box in the cargo area, or upgrading the other speakers and learning to live with what you have. Or make friends with someone who does a LOT of fabrication for a living.

#12 ·
dame fellas I did it about 4 years ago i'll sell the dame things (used them for about on month) then built a sub box and disconected them never used since I'll never go back to that set up

who needs them soory I forget what I used or what type they were but i'm trying to loose wieght in my truck so they are for sale
just let me know who needs them
afi

#15 ·
FWIW -- the box on the door thing is pretty silly. My sub is no longer working because it constantly gets slammed against all the junk I haul around when the door is closed. As far as I am concerned any accessory that encroaches on interior cargo space is crap! :mad: :lol:

...unless she is hot.... :buttrock:

#16 ·
I did a lot of research on the subject a few months back. Yes, the JL's can fit, but you would have to do a lot of cutting on the back door. I thought it would be easy before i actually bought the things and got them home, then realized just how much I would have to do. And on top of that, they are not going to sound as good as a 10 in a box. So I traded the 2 6's in on one JL 10 and built a box to fit behind the rear wheel well, without really taking up any extra space. Course, I haven't bought an amp yet, **** keeps coming up that is actually important. But that is another story.

#17 ·
not really

totallymann said:
Has anyone lately had any luck replacing the woofers in the rear door. I have a 98' DISCO bagged LE with LSE options. Both woofers have blown and I'd like to replace with something better but in the same spot. Thanks in advance. :confused
no but i'll take them if they dont work :)
nah just messin with ya
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#19 ·
I have a bazooka tube back there.
Works well and the JBL amp under the driver seat. The tube is cool, cause you can still pack tons of crap on it and the speaker is protected, so no damage there. I strap it in with the seatbelt from the folding rear seats so it doesn't move. Guess if you don't have those you can mount something in that space, which would be even cooler.
Good luck.
FWIW, the MB quartz fit in the front doors (as I have them there). I also have marine speakers in the rear upper panels, which is great cause they are waterproof. (the P.O. was thinking there!).
Ed

#20 ·
Mine are out too. Every time I find some for sale, something happens to them. One guy wanted $65 for a set that had been sitting in a garage for three years, oh, and they belonged to a "buddy". And another set was damaged prior to shipping. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.