Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.
Currently on a “road” trip for for a new job starting tomorrow, and this happens :/.
All the sudden at idle, it sputters and the engine makes a noise. I can’t tell where the noise is coming from. And the engine at idle is really rough.

no engine light.
temp gauge not overheating
No white smoke

3 weeks ago I did have a check engine light for bad o2 sensors in the front and replaced both upstream with Bosch. After I replaced engine light went off and car ran smooth again. Before I replace the upstream sensors, it had a minor hesitation at idle, no noise.

I have it parked at a hotel until I figure out what to do.
Here are some videos. I tried a search and couldn’t really find anything.

ps - I was super hungover this am so a little possible I put 87 or diesel in it and then ran it for a half of tank.

https://flic.kr/p/2kRmEmQ

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
Hard to say exactly what the noise is but it’s definitely NOT good 😐
Sounds like a bottom end knock.
Can you check your gas receipt and rule out that you put Diesel in it?
even if it was improper fuel it should have set a code

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
247 Posts
I run 87 in my D2 all the time and it doesn't present any issues. Diesel, on the other hand, could be quite a problem. Check for a receipt or check your credit card history if you used a card to rule out if you used the wrong fuel. That's not a good noise at all, so hopefully it's because of something simple like that and not some sort of other catastrophic engine issue.

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
135 Posts
It almost looks like the fan is wobbling in the video. Could be making the sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, drove 30 miles and resovoir of coolant blew and car started to smoke etc.

So pulled of.

is that a head gasket?

or maybe I’ll get lucky and it’ll be a hose or cap?

anyway waiting for a tow, fun stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and something def up with fan belt / bolt as well.
I don’t see any leaks by gasket area.
Just the coolant res exploded all the coolant somehow and the fan looks like it’s about to fly off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again.
Ok now that it’s daylight and I’m not on the side of the highway, seems the coolant leaks behind/in the belt.
I had it towed to a place in a town of a few thousand. I am not from the area.
Just hoping it isn’t the Hg...

also fan is wobbly.
Any info/advice I’d appreciate it.
Thx.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi again.
Ok now that it’s daylight and I’m not on the side of the highway, seems the coolant leaks behind/in the belt.
I had it towed to a place in a town of a few thousand. I am not from the area.
Just hoping it isn’t the Hg...

also fan is wobbly.
Any info/advice I’d appreciate it.
Thx.

View attachment 92992
Is that a stream of fluid coming down in the picture???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah - I poured water in the coolant res and it came out as a stream like that behind the belt , in front of the fan that is loose now.
If a hg, do those normally gush like that?
Thnx

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
247 Posts
Looks like maybe you have a water pump issue? That could explain the leak from that area and wobbly fan, although I'm not sure it would make a noise like you are experiencing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Doesn’t look like a head gasket, I’d agree with the water pump theory. Could be unrelated to the fan, but the wobbly fan could have caused a crack or puncture somewhere.

Can you shake the fan by grabbing it with your hand?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Where are you now, garrettml? Maybe there's an experienced forum member nearby who could help, even by just taking a look. That said, all signs point to a failed water pump. How many miles on the truck? The one in my truck made it to ~177,000 miles. I know it's a drag to have this happen anytime, but especially so when you're away from home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where are you now, garrettml? Maybe there's an experienced forum member nearby who could help, even by just taking a look. That said, all signs point to a failed water pump. How many miles on the truck? The one in my truck made it to ~177,000 miles. I know it's a drag to have this happen anytime, but especially so when you're away from home.
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies and help.

Truck broke down 20 minutes outside of Harrisburg, Pa. towed it the only mechanic in the town it seems. He was nice tho. Said it would take 2 hours for water pump change. The fan will need replaced too and the thermostat.

I rented a car to my new job in Massachusetts.

he said he’s not able to even get to truck Until 4/20 :/.

so yeah, just hours before it broke down, I started to hear that pinging. Never heard that before. The fan housing does move and rattle back and forth.

truck has 155k mikes. As soon as I saw the heater gauge go to red, I pulled right over, so hopefully I didn’t damage anything inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ps - what sucks is a tow back to my house in Pittsburgh is about $750...so that’s why I’m depending on the mechanic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ps - what sucks is a tow back to my house in Pittsburgh is about $750...so that’s why I’m depending on the mechanic.
If it helps, you can sign up for AAA premium now, and get the 200 mile tow. It takes a week or so to activate, but worth it to save the money

·
Registered
125 Posts
This sounds like what happened to be when my water pump gave up. The ALT light came on and the smell of burning rubber aka the serpentine belt. Shortly after I learned how how to replace the water pump, and how to use a milk carton as a gasket if need be.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery S
16 Posts
My water pump failure was similar. After replacing, I found my intake valley pan leaking. When I was done with all that, I noticed the sound of a possible slipped cylinder liner, but it may have been doing that for years. Only heard when idling hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you think the slipped cylinder was a separate issue or caused by the water pump? We’re you able to still drive it with that or had to replace too right away?

I am replacing the pump, fan base ( fan is flapping) , and thermostat.

I’m hoping another issue didn’t happen during. The car never had that knocking or hot until the day the pump blew. So fingers crossed.

Once the pump blew and temp rose I drove for another 20 seconds tops before pulling off.

My water pump failure was similar. After replacing, I found my intake valley pan leaking. When I was done with all that, I noticed the sound of a possible slipped cylinder liner, but it may have been doing that for years. Only heard when idling hot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts