Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a 2103 LR2. In 2014, when I changed the oil, I notice there was oil on the bottom of the engine. But since there was no oil on the splash plate, I thought perhaps it was normal and never notified my dealer.

This year (2016), when I changed the oil, I noticed oil on the splash plate. Since I thought my warranty was running out in a month, I contacted my dealer for the oil leak.

So from Apr 05, 2106 to Jun 21, 2016, I have sent my car in 4 times. 3 times for the oil leak and 1 for the air conditioner which was related to the oil leak repair the dealer has performed. The problem is that the car is still leaking oil and I would like to ask your opinion on what my next step should be.

Below is the logs:

Apr 7 : Customer states there is an oil leak

Found oil leak is coming from the rear of the oil pan. Removed ... ... removed air charge tube, A/C compressor. Remove oil pan, cleaned and installed oil pan.

Apr 19 : Customer states the Air conditioning does not work. When it is on the air is ambient temperature

Verified customer complaint by ... ... Found clutch no turning... A/C compressor connector not fully connected. Refit connector.

About a month after the dealer reseal the oil pan, I found the oil was leaking again when I saw oil on the drive way while washing my car. I removed the splash plate and the plate was covered with oil and there was oil all over the undercarriage.

May 26 : Costumer states there is an oil leak

Verified customer concern. Found the oil leak is coming from the rear main seal. Removed ... ...removed PTU, transmission and fly wheel. Removed and replaced the rear main seal.

I pick up the car on Jun 3. That night, I took the splash plate off to check on the repair. There were oil on the splash plate and on the bottom and rear of the part of the pan. I wiped everything clean and drove the car for another day. Confirmed the oil leak. So I contacted the deal and scheduled a service on Jun 21.

Jun 21 : Customer states there is an oil leak

Inspected and found out the oil leak is coming from the PTU. Removed and reinstalled removed parts.

So I picked up the car on the 29th. And there is oil AGAIN when I inspected the undercarriage 2 days later on July 1st. Just as a side funny story, 2 days after I picked up the car from the dealer, I pulled into a tight parking space which required me to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. I heard some ghastly noise (not squeezing sound that you might hear, but some strange sound). Later in the afternoon, I tried to replicated the sound at a empty lot, I found out the plastic cover above the right wheel was hanging loose and was only attached by one bolt. And that's what that sound was. One bolt was missing. Clearly, that have something to do with the repair the dealer did since the dealer had to remove the Axles to get the oil leak fixed. The dealer was nice enough to send a tech to install the bolt (I did tell the dealer I would be happy to get the bolt at Autozone if they tell me the specification of the bolt. But since the dealer said the bolt has to be exact, the tech came to my home) Since the tech was coming, I got curious and removed the plate to check the repair and that how I found out the car is still leaking.:crying

So seriously, I have been patient and I have been kind and I'm starting to get irritated. Giving the circumstances that the oil leak has been fixed 3 times and nothing is working and that my car is still under warranty (7 more months). What should I do?
Or should I say: if you were I, what would you do?

Thanks very much for your input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add more information, last time I took the car in, I did suggest a pressure test and dye. I saw on the work order that oil dye was used but not sure if they preformed a pressure test. The dealer did say the last leak was due to the PTU seal rolled when the PTU was being removed and reinstall from the previous rear main seal repair.

When I picked up the car, the rep told me "every single seal (oil pan seal, rear main seal and PTU seal) is replaced.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It seems it me that you have gone the distance with this dealer. I do not know but I suspect that corporate Land Rover must have an 800 number for folks with problems like yours. I would get together all of my receipts and try to find a corporate number to call. My first request would be that they send me with their blessing to another dealer or reputable LR repair shop. I think your dealer Is just behind the curve and really does not know what to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Sacramento Area and there are 2 dealers here. Both owned by the same company. So I am kind of out of luck on finding another dealers to fix the car.

What about asking the dealer or Land Rover N. America to replace the engine? Do you think these oil leaks are caused by a bad engine?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sent the car back in and my rep told me this time was the torque converter seal leaked. They want to drive my car over the weekend to make sure there is no leak.

So these are what Land Rover has fixed so far: oil pan seal, rear main seal, PTU seal, and this time, torque converter seal. I am not sure how a leak started from the oil pan seal can eventually become a torque converter seal leak. But I do hope this is it.

I will see when I pick up the car on Tuesday

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.