Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new tires on my 2001 Disco. I'm not doing anything off road right now. I live in Michigan - (snow in the winter - hot in the summer) and am looking for an all around good value tire that I can keep my family safe and use all year. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

·
2,986 Posts
255/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrain TA/KOs .. end of story. Last long, great in the snow, a little bit bigger then stock, more aggressive looking, good in the sand, good on rocks, ok in mud.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Me too

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
I bought a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza about 3 months ago. I love them! They handle great and ride very quite compared to the stock Goodyears...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have had 3 types of tires on my 2000 disco in a little over two years now and my favorites are the BFG AT's I have on there rt now. 10 ply sidewalls for popping over curbs in traffic, great tread in sand and dirt and they look bichen. Not loud and annoying either when you are driving past houses. I say that because my house backs a busy long road and some of my effing neighbors I may never meet have tires that are so heavey and loud they sound liek the world is coming to an end when they go sailing by.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i thought the bfg at's were 6 ply?(which is still pretty stout). i thought my tires the interco trxXus m/t's were 10 ply, b/c i know they have more sidewall protection that the bfg's. anyone have any info?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I've been doing a little seaching - says they don't make a Goodrich AT for my LR Disco SD 2001. Seems that standard size for my Disco is 255/65/16 and Goodrich doesn't seem to make this size. Can I put a 255/70/16 on without changing wheels?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I don't see that there would be a problem as the overall height increase is just 1" (1/2" either side). You might check the clearance to the body though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
those are basically my tires, except IMO mine look better.

·
Registered
590 Posts
SCSL said:
I'm liking these as my next set:
Dude, those tires are going to be so freaking loud as you roll down the highway.

Are you sure you want to sound like some hill billys monster truck doing 40?

:dunno:

·
Registered
590 Posts
appstatedisco said:
i thought the bfg at's were 6 ply?(which is still pretty stout). i thought my tires the interco trxXus m/t's were 10 ply, b/c i know they have more sidewall protection that the bfg's. anyone have any info?

You are right. I thought the tire guy told me they were 10 ply, but after looking just a few min ago, I see that they are 3 ply on the sidewall and 5 ply on the tread. 3 poly/2 steel.

:rolleyes:
Still very sturdy tires over the curbs and rolling down the hills with a full cabin. :clap:

·
Registered
590 Posts
rmuller said:
yeah 255/70/16 is perfect on a stock DII.
My 2000 Disco is pretty stock except for the new old man emu shocks (stiff ride set) and I have 265/70 R 16's on mine.

Rubs just a tiny bit when I pull out of my drive. (my driveway is an incline)

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
On my wife's stock 2000 D2 we put the BF Goodrich mud terrains in a 245/75 on the stock LR wheel. She has had them for over a year and they are awesome! They are great in snow, obviously incredible offroad (no rubbing whatsoever with that tire size) and good on road with not much road noise.

Go for the M/T's!!! :buttrock:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.