Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today it finally stops working. lucky i had a pair of pliers to turn the emergency nob to shut the thing. So anyone have any tips on what to test, tweek or hammer? I see that there is a reley next to the sun roof motor, anyone know how offten this sucker goes kaput? Other that that the Rover runs like a champ so can't really complain.. :drive:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sun roof not working...

Hi Siam,
I found this info about sunroofs a while back, maybe you have a similar problem;

Sunroof Problems
Range Rovers from 1987 to 1990 had a solid sunroof; this was superseded by a glass version in 1991. The earlier version was prone to various problems such as sticking open, scraping on the roof and intermittent operation. Mine jammed open one day (fortunately in the summer) and had to be entirely taken apart to be repaired. John Benham had problems with his being intermittent, then it finally quit. He changed both relays, checked the switch contimuity, took the motor out (it worked on 12V), checked the microswitch on the motor, etc. Finally, he found a bad ground on rocker switch contacts #2 and #4, which go to ground at a hidden spot in the roof area. He simply cut and spliced the wires from them to a solderless lug which he connected to a better ground on one of the three sunroof holding screws. This cured the problem.

Jack Sullivan had similar sunroof problems on his 91 Range Rover to those he had heard of from other owners: the sunroof would open, but not close. He took the motor out, and took it apart. He found it to be a standard DC variety, with permanent magnet fields. Jack finds this type of motor lasts almost forever, but the brushes wear out. The correct brushes can be found at some hardware stores or hobby shops. To replace them, all you need do is match the brush size, and solder them in place. (Jack also found bad electrical contacts similar to John Benham's experience; he strongly suggests that anyone having trouble with sunroof opening and not closing, or reverse of that, should firmly crimp electrical contacts).

Note: The sunroof fuse and relay may be worth checking if your sunroof malfunctions. Probably because the sunroof is something of an afterthought in Range Rover design history, its fuse and relay are not located logically together with the rest of the vehicle's fuses and relays. The fuse is mounted on the back of the relay, and the combination is mounted on its lonesome on the left side of the steering column support bracket under the dash.

Good Luck!
Landy-Andy

·
100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rangie Mark said:
try cutting out the switch to remove it from the equation, have seen them go bad
Took it off and tested and it seems to work with the windows.. I was really hopinh it was something that simple but :dunno: back to trouble shooting...Thanks for the advice folks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts