Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Sunroof - 2 Birds with 1 Stone

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jtsmeed 
#1 ·
The Good: Hello all, So my front sunroof tends to leak in and down my left pillar inside the cabin - suggestions on how to handle this leaking and what might cause it...

The Bad: I Duct-taped around the sunroof to prevent leakage in the cabin - this didn't stop the leak, does anybody know where else to check for leakage? Not only has the sunroof kept leaking but today i removed the Duct-Tape and the front sunroof isn't working - Does anybody know if there is a fuse or a reset function to revamp this switch that has also quit? Thanks-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02 Disco SE
Andrew Winter
Cheers :beer:

#2 ·
Most likely is this drain tube off the sunroof ( there is one at each front corner of the sunroof) plastic tubes attaching to the drain break or come off also sometimes leak where the plastic drain attaches to the steel frame.
Requires lowering the headliner to access.
Commonly will leak at sunroof and come down the inside of the windshield at the top corner.
The sunroof itself is not designed to completely seal and the drain tubes are meant to redirect the water that enters the opening around the sunroof

#4 ·
I did not say anything about "waterproof" drains are drains. They are designed to drain what? Water when? When it rains
Front sunroof and rear, same same same...... Read the rave til you are blue in the face. No difference.
I wish I had experience with non functioning sunroofs on a disco 2 , but I don't.
Tyl604 .... What help can you offer?

#5 ·
Redtruck - sorry you took offense at my question/comment but you misread it as to intent. What you state seems to make sense but would mean that the drain is inside the sunroof as opposed to exterior and designed to catch what leaks through. My guess is that the sunroof is designed to be perfectly waterproof so that nothing leaks through - with the exterior drain there to help guide away the rain. Again, just a guess. However, like Reagan, I believe in trust but verify.

My front sunroof leaks to this day in heavy rain.

#6 ·
No offence taken but ...The drains are inside the sunroof. If yours leaks I would advise you check the t.s.b. Regarding the drains, make sure the hoses are attached and not plugged. Mine leaked same as yours, dropped the headliner down and removed it to refinish it, plastic spigot on drivers side was snapped off. Repaired it and resealed where the plastic drain goes into the steel frame. Has never leaked since.
Best of luck

#8 ·
Just went through this myself recently. After rain or going through a carwash, the drivers side carpet was soaked -- sometimes to the point of water running out the door when opened. My case is probably in the minority, but it turned out that the drain opening under the truck was blocked by debris. I stuck a small screwdriver in the hole that is supposed to serve as the drain exit to dislodge the debris and about 1/2 gallon of water and gunk came pouring down on me. I haven't had an issue with wet carpet since.

Basically, I poured water in the two corners of each sunroof to see if it would drain to the proper place. The front sunroof did not drain at all on the driver's side, but drained fine on the passenger side. Instead, the water that I poured in on the driver's side would slowly seep out the bottom of the interior a-pillar trim and onto the carpet. I checked to see where the drain exit was on the passenger side, found the same spot on the drivers side and carefully poked a small screw driver in. To my surprise, that did the trick.

If you do get the water leakage sorted, it's probably a good idea to lift up the carpet and dry it out really good to avoid mold and mildew.

YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.