Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· MG
714 Posts
Both rear sun roof drain tubes start at the forward part of the window and run aft right underneath the alpine window. I should be able to post pictures on Wednesday...

Why?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am getting a wet headliner just above the windshield on each side. I siliconed under the window weather stripping but seemed to be getting some moisture in the same place. Any ideas?:rellye SORRY IT IS THE FRONT WINDSHIELD SO I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE COMING FROM THE FRONT SUNROOF

· MG
714 Posts
I've read in several strings that leaky alpine windows can cause this symptom - you may want to check them just in case.

Once I get my Disco back, I'll take a look at the fron sun roof drain tubes...

Good luck!

· Registered
76 Posts
honybears said:
Am getting a wet headliner just above the windshield on each side. I siliconed under the window weather stripping but seemed to be getting some moisture in the same place. Any ideas?:rellye SORRY IT IS THE FRONT WINDSHIELD SO I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE COMING FROM THE FRONT SUNROOF
I think your first inclination may have been right. I have a '95 RRC which is built very similarly to your D1.

On the RRC, there is only one sunroof. There are four drains, one at each corner of the sunroof. The front drains go down the 'A' pillar, in front of the front doors. The rear drains go down the 'C' pillar, behind the rear doors.

There is a good likelihood that either the drain tubes are old and cracked, or that they've just come disconnected from the sunroof frame. I believe that is what happened to mine, both front left and right rear. When I go through a car wash, I get water dripping near the front left corner of the sunroof, and at the right rear corner of the car. I think it runs back over the top of the fiberglass headliner and then drips right at the rear window. With the alpine seating, your D1 would drop in different places, I'm sure.

I asked a shop to clear out the drains and they used compressed air. I suspect that instead of cleaning them, it dislodged the drain tubes from the sunroof frame.

I think the only way to check and repair it is to remove the headliner. I haven't had the time/motivation to do that yet.

· Registered
1 Posts
sunroof drains

Pour some water in your sunroof drip pan and, if they aren't blocked, you will see where they exit. The front sunroof drains exit underneath the vehicle and are in line with the front door jambs. Unfortunately, you can't see them since they drain above a body panel. Maybe you can get to them by removing the interior side panels. Haven't tried. The tubes are red transparent plastic. On the rear, the tubes exit under the vehicle also, and are in line with the vertical seam separating the side body panel from the rear panel. You can see them easily by crawling under the vehicle. I have found leaks in the drip pan where the drain tubes are attached. (Have to pull down the headliner to see.) and they overflow sometimes when they get clogged w/ debris. I blew air up one and cleared it. The other wouldn't clear and seems to have a kink in it. Again, remove the sunroof and side fascia to locate and fix the problem. A pain in the butt job............Another instance of superior British engineering! Short term solution is duct tape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.