Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!! :(...Sunroof issues, more and more issues!!...

Hey all,

So i got me 98 Disco 1 about 3 months ago i knew it had sunroof issues when i got it. The rear was taped up i assumed it leaked and i could fix that by just cleaning the drain tube. The front just didnt work, i heard just a click when pressing the button this click came from the ECU but no dice no movement.

As far as the rear motor it will open all the way and go forward all the way till it hits but the rear of the glass will not drop back down into position. Any ideas why??

WHAT I DID.....for the front

Took down the overhead stowage pocket by the sun visor and disconnected all wires and switches on back except the sunroof motor and the ECU. I picked up an ECU and two used motors which i was told work (any way to test this??)........... and yes i checked the sunroof fuse under the steering wheel.

First..... i connected bth of the sunroof switches, left the old ecu in and plugged in the other two motors neither moved at all. although when pressing the switch with one of the new motors attached, the clicking from the ECU was continuous while holding the switch where as before it was a singular click.

Second..... i repeated the process with the new ECU Same story here no dice. and still continuous clicking with that one motor.

Third..... i tried plugging the front sunroof connector into the rear sunroof switch (the rear does move but still doestn close all the way remember but it confirms the switch does work) and tried it with every combo of the first step and second step basically just tried switching all the parts while using both switches so i could to see if any combo worked. none did. still no dice on the front sunroof but the rear was good with either switch and with both ECUs.

Fourth..... I hooked up a tester bulb to the front sunroof connector pins and nothing lit up, tested it with the dome light and the rear sunroof connector pins and got a light so its not the bulb at least. but nothing lit up

Fith..... i gave up and called it a night
.................................................................................................

IN SUMMARY

With testing the new motors ( i did not refit them into the mount just plugged it in and hit the switch to test if it would turn). even with the new ECU i cant get the front sunroof motors to do anything (all 3) with either ECU.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be stopping the motor from getting power or something along those lines?

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Well, you've checked all fuses and swapped relays around, right? If that doesn't pinpoint it, you have a wiring issue. I don't have the electrical system memorized but there may be another fuse that's blown. Don't forget the fuse panel under the hood. And swap the relay for another of the same type. Might be it's just a bad relay.

I wish you success.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you've checked all fuses and swapped relays around, right? If that doesn't pinpoint it, you have a wiring issue. I don't have the electrical system memorized but there may be another fuse that's blown. Don't forget the fuse panel under the hood. And swap the relay for another of the same type. Might be it's just a bad relay.

I wish you success.
looking at the fuse diagrams i only saw the one fuse for the sunroof and swapped it with a few other like ones. haven't done anything with the relays. not sure where those are. anyone have a wiring diagram?

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
On a DII, they're under the hood in a closed box near the battery with a legend inside the lid. I assume it's similar on the D1.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a DII, they're under the hood in a closed box near the battery with a legend inside the lid. I assume it's similar on the D1.
i tried turning the motor with an allen wranch and no go. it wont budge. took it apart cleaned it and put it back together and still not working. the parts will all turn individually when apart but when i re- assemble the motor it must be binding up somehow. not sure why. i followed these steps and re assembled exaclty. still binds up and wont budge with the allen wrench.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...-motor.271380/

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
They all leak. They have never made one that doesn't. They leak into the electronics that are above the headliner and they leak down the A-pillars and into the electronics that control everything in the truck. Next to engine problems, this is the #1 reason that nice D's end up for sale as parts trucks.

If you have to have it, and you're certain you're getting power to the roof and that the coontrol is not already corroded, then finding a replacement drive should be cheap and easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.