Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Disco 300Tdi,my first problem is i have two sunroofs which are not working.I have power going to them,someone told me the cable on these are prone to snapping.I am just looking for ideas before i take down the roof lining.
Secondly,sometimes when i am driving along at 50-55 mph white smoke appears out the exhaust,the power decreases,this lasts for about a couple of seconds then its back to normal.Is it just dirt in the tank or is it a common problem?

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
I can't help with the sunroof, however,... white smoke out the tailpipe is never good. Most of the time when smoke comes out the tailpipe its either black or blueish. Black smoke is fine for the most part, blueish smoke is oil burning, white smoke usually means that coolants is getting into the combustion chamber... (so the block could have a small crack, head gasket could have a rip in it)

I would chage your oil and look for coolant that has mixed in but not burned off yet. The coolant and the oil will not mix so it should be pretty easy to see it. And you can have the oil tested to see if it in there as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
horse said:
I have a 96 Disco 300Tdi,my first problem is i have two sunroofs which are not working.I have power going to them,someone told me the cable on these are prone to snapping.I am just looking for ideas before i take down the roof lining.
Secondly,sometimes when i am driving along at 50-55 mph white smoke appears out the exhaust,the power decreases,this lasts for about a couple of seconds then its back to normal.Is it just dirt in the tank or is it a common problem?
I would also be interested in any sunroof advice as my rear one works fine but my front one does not.
Thanks All!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have started to take the inside of the roof down,a landy mate of mine reckons the pulley cable has snapped.I just hope the lining looks as good when it goes back on,but it w'ont go back on until the sunroofs are working.
On my second problem my white smoke is now black smoke and it seems to happen when the tank is half full.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I cant speak on the smoke issue, but can provide some cursory info on the sunbroof issue. (I appologize in advance, as I am a poor typer and marginal speller, and will not proof this prior to sending).

Sunroof problems are common. I do not understand the entire system, but have "fixed" my front sunroof, which was inopperable when I purchased my '98 d1 w/158k approx. 3 months ago (now has 168k). The previous owner advised that the front sunroof had worked fine for the whole time, then started to act up intermittently, then stopped working all together. He then just didnt bother to get it fixed.

When I received the disco, if I pushed the open side of the front sunroof switch, I would hear nothing. If I pushed the close side of the button, I would hear a slight, brief noise, which seemed like something locking.

The first thing I wanted to do was verify that my sunroof tracks were not seized. To do this, pop out the small rectangular plastic cover out of the headliner, directly infront of the sunroof glass. Under that, there will be a small allen key recepticle. It takes a 4mm allen key, which you can turn one way or the other to open and close the sunroof manually (good to know if it goes out with a rainstorm coming). Use the 4mm allen key to verify that the tracks are not seized. It will take some pressure, but use the longer side in your hand for maximun leverage, and it will open/close. If you have one sunroof which is opperable, you can compare the resistance from the good on with the bad one. For mine, the rear one worked, so I compared and they both had the same approximate resistance.

Once you have done this, next you should verify that the switch is not bad. This is easy if one of the sunroofs works and the other doesnt. To do this, pop out the sunroof switch area, the two switches and the rear lockout are housed in this. Transfer the wiring for the bad sunroof into the known good switch and see if it works. If not, then put the known good wiring into the bad switch and see if it operates, it likely will, and if so, you have eliminated the switch as the culprit. If not, the switch is bad and should be verified by trying a known good switch from the rear switches.

If you know the tracks are not seized, and the switch is not bad, then you need to remove the front overhead console. It is only 6 or so screws, and the headliner does not need to come down. Once you get the scews out, disconnect the wiring from the switches, from the light and from the grarge opener. Then place the overhead console out of the way. This is the only place it gets hairy. The sunroof ecu needs to come out. It is the square with two sets of wires coming out of it which is screwed into the roof. The two screws are on either side, and cant be dropped because they will fall behind the headliner, making their recovery very difficult. Once you get the ecu out, the two connections need to come out as well. They are very tough to get out, I had to use a very small flathead screwdriver pushed between the coupling and the housing, and a pair of adguystable pliers pulling on the pluh. Once you get them out, the last thing to disconnect is the power supply to the sunroof motor, which is in front of the sunroof, with the 4mm allen key in the center.

Once all the connections are disconnected, use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to clean all the terminals. Once clean, then apply bult grease/dialectric grease to the connections and replace all the parts, starting with the sunroof ecu. Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately test the sunroof operation while the parts are out of their final place. I am not sure why, but from personal experience, what wouldnt work while testing the switch when all was out, worked fine after all was installed. So once reinstalled, start the vehicle and give a go right away. If it wont ope it, open it with the allen key, then try to cloase it with the switch. If still nothing, either the motor is shot/and or the ecu card is blown. If it closes fine, but just wont open, and the switch has been verified as operational, then it is the ecu.

If you are like me, it will work fine. I did this (except for the bulb grease) and it worked fine for about a week, then same ase before, i.e. would close (once opened manually) but not open. I then did all the same, and also applied the bulb grease, and now has worked more or less flawlessly for two weeks. Once I pushed the front open switch and it didnt work. I then pushed the rear open switch, which opened both the front and the rear. Thereafter, working fine. I think my ecu card is on its way out.

Good luck and let us now how it goes!

Kieran :beer:

Once you have verfied

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks K12,i tried to open the sunroofs with the allen key.It started well the first few turns then i met resistence,it opened about half an inch on both sunroofs and then returned to the closed position easy enough.I'm going to try to clean the terminals as you suggested,i'ii let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
before you start to do that, open them manually, then try to close them with the switch. It will help diagnose the issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks K12 ,both sunroofs are working now.Looks like connects loose in ECU unit,thanks for the help.One slight problem when i press the switch to open i have to put my hand on the front centre of the sunroof as it is not holding it long enough to clear the securing brackets.It is the same with the rear.Some job to get the connectors out of the ECU unit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Horse, Glad to hear it! Let us know what the fix is for the other issue, which I have not run into . . . yet. ha ha.

Kieran :clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k12 my white smoke turned to black smoke,started to get worse then a friend told me about the EGR valve.So i removed the vacume hose and the problem is now solved,sunroof is still working.

·
Registered
321 Posts
does the white smoke smell? if so what does it smell like? if it's sweet, you might have a blown head gasket which is letting anti freeze into the combustion chamber. if this is the case... STOP DRIVING IT!! you'll end up doing more damage to your engine.. (bend rods, etc etc)
if it's not sweat smelling.. what does it smell like?
take care
sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no smell other then the black smoke which has stopped now.I was a bit nervous about about removing the vacum hose on the EGR valve so i brought it to a mechanic that has worked on landys all his life, old and new .He does all the major work for the local land rover dealer.I reattached the hose and said nothing about the EGR valve,i told him the symptons ,left it with him and returned later.When i came back he had removed the vacun hose and he told me that it was a common problem with these valves,he said it would clear in a few days and it has.As for anti-freeze i dont have any in it so it cant be that problem,thanks for the advice.As for the sunroof if i hold it in the middle at the front while i press the button it will open and it closes as normal.It's a pain in the rear but it works and other then that i will have to replace the whole lot,i also have airconditioning so i can live with holding the button and the kids can't mess around with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.