Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mark1fx2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 LR3 V8 4.4...
I took the unit to a local mechanic to check for an oil leak. The unit was put on a lift with the wheels dangling.. after coming off the lift I got a suspension fault normal height only message. The rear suspensions were at normal height but the front suspensions were almost on stumps!!..Once the unit is started the compressor runs for about 20 seconds, sounds really weak then it stops and i get the fault message. I changed brake light switch and did a "hard ecu reset". I have 12.63volts on battery...the brake light bulbs are not blown.
I still have the message and the vehicle wont lift....any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You really need someone to pull the fault codes - I have heard tales of shops accidentally using either the air reservoir or the compressor case as a lift point and damaging the suspension supply as a result. Do you see any obvious signs of impact on these ?

·
mark1fx2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey STMCKNIG...thanks for the response.I looked under the unit and have not seen any obvious damage. I will try to check the fault codes this weekend. Could it be the airbags that were damaged since the wheels were dangling?... like I said, the compressor sounds very weak for 20 seconds then stops triggering the fault message.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the compressor shuts down within 20 seconds that suggests it may be triggered by overheating which could be a blocked drier. I seriously doubt the dangling caused issues with the air bag units but the fault codes would help confirm.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Also, try cycling it all the way down, and all the way up, and back to normal height again, see what happens. If you have nav, put it on the 4x4 and see if one of the wheels look funny or wobbles up and down.

·
mark1fx2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, try cycling it all the way down, and all the way up, and back to normal height again, see what happens. If you have nav, put it on the 4x4 and see if one of the wheels look funny or wobbles up and down.
Hey The and Stmcknig...i ran the code and it was the compressor...i pulled it down and found that the valve was damaged. I attached pics to show the damaged seal and broken spring lock. And the repaired valve.
I installed the valve rebuild kit and it works fine - loud as a sonic boom - but it's fine and the fault code disappeared. I did not have to do any reprogramming.
I disconnected the battery before pulling out the compressor.

Attachments

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
In the future, follow the manufacturers recommendation when lifting the vehicle - put the vehicle in off road height before lifting. This isn't what caused your fault, but it is the recommended way of lifting the vehicle.

Colin

·
mark1fx2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks.

Colin and the other guys thanks for the advice and help. the unit is working just fine ...for now!!. this is my first land rover and what an experience it has been....

In the future, follow the manufacturers recommendation when lifting the vehicle - put the vehicle in off road height before lifting. This isn't what caused your fault, but it is the recommended way of lifting the vehicle.

Colin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been having the problem as many others with lr3 displaying HCD faults and transmission failures as well as suspension failures. Gonna replace the brake light switch tmrw or Tuesday. Would u reccogmend getting that part from Rock Auto? cheaper than the dealership. Any other advice u add would be greatly appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.