Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to run alot..Im new to range rovers..mine is a 98 RR..I keep it on low ride..right under normal ride & keep the inhibit switch on to keep it from raising up & down all the time..Is this normal or is it possibly leaking somewhere..I have receipts in it where land rover did replace a block on it..any ideas? Anyplace common to be looking for it has 84k on it..serviced at land rover & a 1 owner..also the tranny seems to short shift..goes 1-2-3 pretty quick under normal driving..no lights on & my snapon scanner showed nothing other than TPS at 12.9% at idle in park..checked fluid when cold & was 2 quarts low..suppose to had the 90 k service already done tranny fluid change & all..maybe didnt refill all the way? Thanks for any help you can give me
Brian

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like you have a suspension air leak. This frequent pump unning will ultimately take its toll on the pump. The fault may be elsewhere than the valve block, which is the really expensive part.

The transmission oil may be levelled when the box is hot, which would make a difference - check the owners' handbook - but 2 quats seems awfully low (mistakes can be made by servicing staff, or that may be leaking too).

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are now, where I was a few weeks ago, with a leak in your system, causing the pump to run more than it should. It finally failed-some 300 miles from home, and the truck settled to low, and rode on the bumpers-very,very rough ride home. Many phone calls and sound advice later, I put coil springs on, and eliminated the EMS completely. Rides quite well, but I do miss the up/down. Dealer convinced me if we fix this leak, and possibly even the compressor, the next weakest part would fail. If you habe 84K, expect further problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
try checking the filter at the end of the air intake for the suspention compressor it may be blocked and will caurse the comp to run a lot longer as it carnt get the correct air in to build the system

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can try just spraying soapy water on the air springs, lines and connectors and look for bubbles (go for a STRONG soap/water ratio vs mostly water and just a little soap). Test the suspenion in "access" (low) mode, and in "high" mode. My air bags would leak only when they were compressed into "low" mode. It seemed weird to me the pump ran 5 times as much in "low" mode as it did in "high" mode till I figured this out.

You can get replacement bladders for about $400-$500 for a set of 4 (Bladders only). They are easier to fix/replace than you would think.

1 week after I replaced my air bladders, my Air Suspension ECU went out...then I went to coil spring. Man, I miss the air suspension ride/adjustability, but I sure don't miss riding on the bump stops/problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts