Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning my 2" spring/shock lift and have a question: is it necessary to remove the front shock towers? If I unbolt the shock from the top, will there be enough room to slip it out the bottom?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Pull the towers. not hard with only 3 bolts if I remember right.
Who's lift are you planning on using?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You don't have to remove the towers. The spring and shock can be taken in and out together. It is easier to remove the tower and do the job.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i pulled mine out from the bottom.. easy enough with sway bar disconnected

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I'll pull them if I have to, but I'd rather not risk shearing off a mounting stud. Sounds like I'll be good to go pulling them from the bottom if I get enough clearance.

I have Terrafirma medium springs, TF shocks, and TF steering damper. Front end is about 50-55lbs heavy with a LR nudge bar, lights and optima battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Completed the rear end lift and steering damper last night; plan to finish the front today.

Contrary to a lot of the online guides I've seen, all of my rear damper bolts were 18mm. No 17mm, no 19mm. Go figure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front end finished.
Some notes for those about to attempt this:

1) All bolts on mine were 18mm, including the sway bar nuts. I did not have any 17 or 19mm.

2) A deep-socket 18mm would be helpful for the sway bar, but isn't necessary.

3) You do not need to remove the front towers on a DII. I only disconnected the front sway bar and used a bottle jack to provide a little extra room to slide everything out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet. Planning on 265/60/18 this summer and will take pics when "done".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pic posted

here it is; 2" TF medium; 265/60/18 bfgoodriches. if it looks low in the back, it is because the lot is angled at that part.

·
Registered
356 Posts
looks great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts