Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovsry
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

Next project on the ol girl is going to be suspension. After this past weekends trip I know everything is shot.

Metal bumpers are on order, so I know the truck will have some extra weight on it. No roof racks because I don’t like them, and when we load up to camp it’s nothing super heavy, just tents and sleeping bags mostly. Pretty light stuff.

So what do you guys recommend? Medium or heavy duty suspension setups? I’m looking at terrafirma’s 2” medium duty, but I’m worried with a medium duty that there may be too much sag with the bumpers.

I would also like to prioritize on road driving, so I’m worried that a heavy duty setup will be to rough on road with smaller bumps. I just don’t think I’ll go off-road enough to warrant the truck feeling like it’s on bricks while I’m driving on road.

Thoughts?

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
I have OME’s HD springs and I couldn’t be happier. I have a big heavy ARB and warn winch on the front as well as an LK8 rear steelie and a voyager full roof basket with all the fixings.

the truck didn’t seem to settle even a fraction of an inch when I mounted up the bumpers. I’ve gone out with four passengers and a trunk/roof full of kit, and it’s been perfect. My favorite part is how level it tracks on the road, even when empty. I’m lifted 5” and I have very little roll when cornering.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have OME’s HD springs and I couldn’t be happier. I have a big heavy ARB and warn winch on the front as well as an LK8 rear steelie and a voyager full roof basket with all the fixings.

the truck didn’t seem to settle even a fraction of an inch when I mounted up the bumpers. I’ve gone out with four passengers and a trunk/roof full of kit, and it’s been perfect. My favorite part is how level it tracks on the road, even when empty. I’m lifted 5” and I have very little roll when cornering.
How is the on road ride, especially when hitting smaller bumps? Is the ride pretty stiff? That’s what I’m most worried about with the heavy duty setup.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Not terribly no. It’s obviously stiffer than OEM or MD, but it doesn’t bother me or even my wife!

·
Expert Crate Digger
277 Posts
I had OME HD springs all around and it rattled my teeth!
I switched up to Terrafirma 2” MD springs for my steel bumpers, side rock sliders, winch, and tank protector it it rides so much better as a daily driver.

Reactions: Bigmant773

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had OME HD springs all around and it rattled my teeth!
I switched up to Terrafirma 2” MD springs for my steel bumpers, side rock sliders, winch, and tank protector it it rides so much better as a daily driver.
Thats what I was wondering! Did you have too much sag due to the medium duty setup and all of the extra armor?

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Maybe I’ve got enough permanent weight to soften the blow.

I would imagine that if this were the case, I would be experiencing roll during cornering. Maybe we just have different tastes lol

·
Expert Crate Digger
277 Posts
Thats what I was wondering! Did you have too much sag due to the medium duty setup and all of the extra armor?
That was the whole reason for the HD springs was to stop the sag. I've had the 2" TF MD springs on the front for over 3 years and recently installed the 2" TF MD springs to the rear with no sag... yet. lol

Reactions: Bigmant773
1 - 8 of 8 Posts