Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom shocks... custom springs... I love my job testing pre-release products. This is only a 2" lift, but outflexes the 3" made by a well known suspension company. Can't wait to twist it up on a trail!

The left mud flap is touching the floor, the left front tyre is still planted well.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
nice. is that just shocks and springs? I'm assuming the sway bars are gone. and when will they be availible. im hoping to do a 2" lift by the late spring.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that pic was done before I disconnected the front sway bar. I put disconnects on it for testing, but I plan to redesign the disconnects to be easier to use before it is released for sale. It'll all be available by Spring as a spring/shock combo or as a complete kit with extended stainless brake lines, disconnects and steering stabilizer. Price will be astoundingly good...

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Still shooting for the sub-$400 range on the kit?

How is the ride characteristics? Do you have a pic with it on a flat surface? (non-flex)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The springs and shocks are under $400- the brake lines and disconnects will add to it from there. I think with everything including the steering stabiliser and disconnects it'll still be in the mid $600 range.

I don't have any good pics of it on this computer- but here's one on Domke's site from when we used my truck for Bill Burke's demo...

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
Very interesting. I'm sending you a PM regarding this.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
roverX said:
Steve - are those the Big Blues?
Yes, they are Big Blues- in the last few years, the factory has changed the way they make them so they are more sag-resistant than they were several years ago. The product testing on these newer ones for this suspension kit actually started two years ago using a D1 to test them for sag... We have a slight dilemma though. I like to have extra load carrying capability because I take an Engel fridge on trips and I also run a Trek rear bumper. I uprated the rear springs to allow for that and when unladen with 300lbs or more of gear, the rear rides higher. For people who don't load their truck up, we are doing a different rear spring to make it ride level without any payload. I'm also installing a heavier winch (12K) to see how the front springs work with that... Then product testing will be over. We might order up another spring option so we can accomodate different configurations.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Nice! My rear is starting to sag even without a load. With 3 kids, I load up pretty heavy when we go camping and stuff. Looking to replace the rears before summer. Keep us posted please. :)

·
Banned
914 Posts
What's the spring rates? Would this be considered a MD or HD spring? What was the total lift when installed, spring perch to spring perch (Empty cargo bay, with full tank of gas)? What is total lift after six months?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hank- I don't have the perch-to-perch measurements here with me right now, but when I post the specs on the suspension when it becomes available I'll make all that available. We'll have a HD and a MD version of the springs since not everyone loads down as heavy as I do. We're installing the new version of the MD's Friday so we can double check the height. There's another set of fronts and rears we're having made right now too that I think I want to try also just to be sure. We're experimenting with rates and want to try everything. :D I'm seriously considering having a stock length shock made for those who don't want to change brake lines etc. My job is fun! Today I closed a deal that will start my own line of synthetic winch lines- made from Amsteel Blue, but with some unique features...

TexasRover- Thanks! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
mmmmmm "Baby" Blues - I LOVE THEM!!!! Only springs I'll ever put on my truck! Soon Jen's springs will be coming off and a set of "Baby" Blues will be on her D1. Well...... ok so after all these damn engines are rebuilt and installed! LOL

And as far as the whole "sag" rumors - I've got a long block along with about another 100lbs+ of tools sitting in the back of my RRC and it's still sitting perfectly level!

(Some more shots of my RRC sitting nice and straight with those baby blues doing thier job.)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet Rangie! They are starting to make the blue a little bit darker now... but still distinctive. There are some copies out there, but they are more of a Royal blue.
A long time ago, there was a problem with lots of springs of many brands- they didn't know how to 'relieve' the steel after the springs were wound. They have a process for that now that most companies use- but the urban legends of spring sag are still out there. All modern springs are of decent quality now except stuff coming out of the Pacific Rim and some third world countries. Fact is that there aren't really many spring factories in the world and lots of different brands are made in the same place. The trick is the rate, size and type of wind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.